Promise, last bandsaw question
(11-07-2020, 01:29 PM)Bill Schneider Wrote: I meant to say liftgate delivery - sorry. I purchased mine from WoodWerks in Columbus, Ohio where they offered (at the time) $75 delivery anywhere in the country. The truck that came had a lift on the back of it to lower the pallet, the driver, and his pallet truck to the ground, .

[Image: laguna_bandsaw-truck.jpg]

The driver used his pallet hand truck to wheel the box into the garage, where I tilted the box to get out the top of the saw.

[Image: laguna_bandsaw-6tsml.jpg]

[Image: laguna_bandsaw-16tsml.jpg]

I "walked" it out from there onto my hand truck.

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. Griz delivers for flat $99. 

Lowes is a pickup, the Delta they sell is a steel frame instead of the Griz cast iron, and a 1 hp motor. Both look nice, and if I add Griz's shipping costs the price is the same.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I don't trust any of the consumer type machines they sell.

A better machine for similar money would be Grizzly.  Even their low end model is going to be a better machine.

Used good quality bandsaws are around.  The older model 14" Deltas are excellent if you can find one.
(11-07-2020, 12:23 PM)Scouter Wrote: What is tailgate delivery?

Just be very careful with those two terms - "tailgate" vs "liftgate".  

Tailgate means the truck shows up, the driver brings the load to the back of the truck or trailer, and you have to get it off the truck.  That means forklift, or a loading dock at the standard 48-52" height.  

Liftgate means the driver puts the load on the elevator (so to speak), and lowers it to the ground.  You take it from there, though many drivers will pull the pallet jack and load to wherever you want it, within reason.  Have some 10's and 20's handy if he/she does that.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
unless i missed it, i don't see a tensioning lever on any of those??

maybe just me, but i wouldn't want to not have one.  
No
The weight is total weight including the cast iron table and the motor.  Take those off and it will be down quite a bit.
(11-09-2020, 11:17 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: unless i missed it, i don't see a tensioning lever on any of those??

maybe just me, but i wouldn't want to not have one.  
No

Watch the short video::

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN-14-in-Two-S...1002920840

---
See ya later,
Bill
(11-09-2020, 06:55 PM)Bill_de Wrote: Watch the short video::

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN-14-in-Two-S...1002920840

---

ah, and there it is!  
Cool  i didn't see it in the pics.
(11-06-2020, 07:54 PM)Scouter Wrote: Yeah, the Delta is my top consideration right now, I like the steel frame. My resaw is casual, not for the bookend effect as much as getting stock to near thickness before putting it through the planer. My current 10" Delta does a decent job, but it's from the 50's and it's getting too hard to find parts.

Not any experience with WEN, never heard of it before I searched BS's on Amazon, something about it just doesn't sit right, but that could just be me, which is why I asked.

Porter Cable seems nice, with a 1-1/2 hp motor, but like the WEN I have no experience, and the only reviews I can find are on Lowe's site and talk more about its assembly than actual use.

I'd also cast a vote for an older, US made Delta 14" saw.  Not sure what you are liking with a steel frame, but the Deltas in question are cast iron frames, not steel. 

What parts do you need for your 10" that you are finding difficult to source?  I'm running a 1940 Walker Turner, which was made for a lot less time than the Delta models, and parts are not unobtainium.  This saw has a true 11" resaw and has no issue with the 1/2 horse motor in it.  

The Delta 14" saw was very similar from the 1930's into the 1990's.  Parts are not too difficult to obtain.  These saws will run circles around the Porter Cable, Wen, and Imported Deltas sold new today.
(11-06-2020, 05:03 PM)Scouter Wrote: First, ever notice that there is no universal agreement on bandsaw vs band saw? Makes searhing a real bear.

Anyway, from comments/suggestions on this forum I think I've settled on the 14" Delta as best all around for my needs. But, has anyone had any eaperience with Wen or Porter Cable? Specifically these models:

Lowes bandsaws

I've read some good and bad about Wen, seems people either really love it or hate it, but no good reasons either way. Never heard of a Porter Cable bandsaw before.

I have some Wen tools. First thing was an air filter (doesn't really count, I guess) which has been hanging from the ceiling for years. Works great.

I do have one of their drill presses. Zero complaints with it. It does everything I need it do, runs true, and has plenty of power.

Most recently I bought a lathe. I'm not a turning expert, but I've been pretty pleased with it to this point.

For what it's worth I have a Grizzly bandsaw (very common and popular) and it's got its share of problems. The tensioning lever bent once, and the gauge isn't even close to accurate. I generally don't touch it. The saw itself - nearly everything about it - was out of alignment. Drift was a major problem at first. I know bandsaws generally need to be tuned, but I didn't expect the level of effort required to true it up. It's great now, but it took some work.
(11-10-2020, 11:13 AM)FS7 Wrote: I have some Wen tools. First thing was an air filter (doesn't really count, I guess) which has been hanging from the ceiling for years. Works great.

I do have one of their drill presses. Zero complaints with it. It does everything I need it do, runs true, and has plenty of power.

Most recently I bought a lathe. I'm not a turning expert, but I've been pretty pleased with it to this point.

For what it's worth I have a Grizzly bandsaw (very common and popular) and it's got its share of problems. The tensioning lever bent once, and the gauge isn't even close to accurate. I generally don't touch it. The saw itself - nearly everything about it - was out of alignment. Drift was a major problem at first. I know bandsaws generally need to be tuned, but I didn't expect the level of effort required to true it up. It's great now, but it took some work.

The tension gauge on most consumer grade band saws are junk IMO. There are ways to tension blades more accurately using a digital caliper and some math. I have a Rikon 10-325 - there's a newer version with better guides. I would buy it again. Rikon does have sales a couple times a year. If I were really budget limited I'd consider Harbor Freight. Yeah there's going to be some tuning and fussing and it'll never be a Laguna or Powermatic but you wouldn't be paying for a Laguna or Powermatic. Personally I wouldn't buy less than I have now.