Three-sided stools
Great looking stools. The maple looks fantastic. I would have been perplexed with the wedge orientation if I was making them. With the maple seats, I would not think there will be any issues with the one wedge running with the grain.
Another couple of points about the wedges: firstly, the seat is Hard Maple, and not a soft pine. It will resist splitting. Secondly, the tenons are not tapered, and seat instead on a shoulder. The wedge is thin and just enough to prevent the seat lifting. A tapered tenon wedges itself increasingly in the mortice, and the wedge would be more of an issue then.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Nice!
For some reason this post makes me feel challenged and motivated to make something like this.. someday. Gotta get myself out of so much square and straight ww.
Ray
I thought I had commented but cannot find it, so -

Very nice work - as usual. You had a good designer for inspiration. I really like the tapered edges and, of course, the contrasting wedges.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard