Hand mirror glass source?
Hey,

My wife just broke her (cheap) hand mirror, so I’m considering making her a new one. Probably in the 6”-8” diameter range. If possible, I’d be interested in using glass that gives 3x or 5x magnification.

Has anyone done this with a magnifying mirror? Any suggested sources for the mirror, even if only the non magnifying variety? I worry that the curvature of the mirror needed to give magnification would make it overly thick, especially with a wood holder.

Thanks,
Tyler
Could you repurpose this IKEA mirror? My wife likes this and had me install it next to her sink vanity.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/fraeck-mirr...-38006200/
This was my first thought:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/58/...erm=mirror

I've not seen the magnifying ones sold in a similar way.
Buy a cheap one with the magnification you want and remove the frame.  

John
atgcpaul, I actually had reason to be at IKEA the other day (maybe I shouldn't admit that on a woodworking forum!) shortly after your suggestion and took a look at that mirror. At least the one I saw had more distortion than seemed right/natural, so I passed. But the idea of pulling the mirror out of a cheap commercial product, as John also suggested, is a good one. Lots of them come with LEDs built in and such though, and it's often hard to tell quality without looking at it in person.

badwhiskey, thanks for the link. I may use a regular mirror if I can't find a magnifying one that I'm happy with. She had a non magnifying mirror before.

Thanks,
Tyler
Call a few local glass suppliers in your area, you may be surprised how helpful they can be.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.