WTB Stanley type 14 plane parts
(11-23-2020, 12:21 AM)Phil S. Wrote: dow-

Is the tote you have repairable?  If the horn is broken you can plane the break flat, epoxy on a piece the right size, shape it and refinish it.  Wiktor's site used to have a page showing how that's done before he took it down, but isn't hard to figure it out.  Here's another site that shows the process -
https://literaryworkshop.wordpress.com/2...-the-horn/
A better match with the replacement wood would make it a lot less obvious.

If the break is lower, here's a site with a suggested approach -
https://www.georgesbasement.com/fixatote.htm

You could probably have the tote fixed in a couple of hours and be back in business.

Phil

Thanks Phil.  The break is like the first link you sent.  Looks like that's what I'll do, once I locate some suitable wood.  hmm... might have something in my pen blank stuff that would be about right. Were all of the totes made from rosewood at that time?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
(11-23-2020, 09:34 AM)dow Wrote: Thanks Phil.  The break is like the first link you sent.  Looks like that's what I'll do, once I locate some suitable wood.  hmm... might have something in my pen blank stuff that would be about right.  Were all of the totes made from rosewood at that time?

I got a few parts from this guy a few years back might try him for a #5 12

https://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm
south vietnam war collage
(11-08-2020, 01:34 PM)dow Wrote: I'm in need of a tote and frog for a Stanley type 14 #7C plane. Does anybody know where I might find one or both, and what a fair price would be for each?

Thanks,
Dow

I have one from a Type 11 No 6 plane if that will work let me know. I think It should fit in a small flat rate box. Can text pictures if you want

Thanks,
Harry
(11-23-2020, 09:34 AM)dow Wrote: Thanks Phil.  The break is like the first link you sent.  Looks like that's what I'll do, once I locate some suitable wood.  hmm... might have something in my pen blank stuff that would be about right.  Were all of the totes made from rosewood at that time?

I don't know if ALL totes were made from rosewood, but a lot of them were.  If you can't come up with any suitable wood I have some East India Rosewood scrap and I could send you a piece big enough for your repair.

Phil
Harry, I think that will work. Sending PM.
Exclamation 
(11-23-2020, 06:31 PM)H Sycks Wrote: I have one from a Type 11 No 6 plane if that will work let me know. I think It should fit in a small flat rate box. Can text pictures if you want

Thanks,
Harry

Harry,

Check your PM's.  I need your mailing address.

Thanks,
dow
(01-07-2021, 02:49 PM)dow Wrote: Harry,

Check your PM's.  I need your mailing address.

Thanks,
dow

I have a new, made by me, East Indian rosewood tote and knob for $25 plus shipping. You will have to finish it.  Wife doesn't like the finish smell and in Iowa, outside in not an option in Jan. 

Tom
I have a Type 11 7C
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
If you have a Facebook account look up a group called Just plane parts it’s run by Michael Jnks he has tons of Stanley parts and is very good on prices.
(01-09-2021, 12:26 PM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: If you have a Facebook account look up a group called Just plane parts it’s run by Michael Jnks he has tons of Stanley parts and is very good on prices.

Thanks for the recommendation, 'Dude.

Just FYI, it wasn't hard to find but the group's "Just Plane Fun."  And it does look like Mr. Jnks does have a whole lot of parts!