Mattress?
We just bought a new mattress. They will deliver and set up but will not touch the old one in anyway because of the covid.
The balls lounger.

(11-09-2020, 11:27 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: When LOML was going through several operations, we bought her a mattress made by the Omaha Mattress company that is comparable to Temperpedic. But, half the price and made in America(Nebraska). The adjustable base was made in Tennessee.

It has a cooling layer to prevent the foam from getting too hot(LOML is a certified heating element) and it works well. Hers is a queen and takes a larger fitted sheet(Mattress is about 15" thick).

Both mattress and adjustable base at Nebraska Furniture were right at the same price point of just a name brand mattress alone.

I just have to give a shout out to Nebraska Furniture Mart.  Took my daughter to Omaha Sunday to pick up several items, and that warehouse/pickup operation is amazing.  I've never been in a store or even looked at their website, but we'll be doing business there in the future for sure.  
Yes
Our company has a customer that manufactures the box springs that are used in the production of mattresses.  They do not produce the mattresses themselves.   They sell them to major bedding manufacturers as well as regional mattress manufacturers. 

Because the mattress manufacturers can buy the box springs, that industry is essentially a "cut and sew" business.  They only need a work room, scissors, and a sewing machine to get into the production of the mattress.

The quality of that mattress is dependent upon which box spring they choose to purchase (there are various quality levels available) and what the fabrics and padding specified. 

So a local manufacturer can produce economy mattresses or premium mattresses.  There is no mystery how that quality is achieved. 

It used to be that mattress manufacturers rated their mattresses by the number of asterisks on the sewn in tag.  They ranged from * to *****, with the 5 asterisks representing the firmest mattress. 

The major retailers like Sleepy's and 1-800-MATTRES objected to the rating system and it was dropped. 

And other retailers like Costco have mattress models that are unique to that chain store so you can no longer compare prices. 

What used to be a fairly transparent retail experience has become one obfuscated by the major retailers.  If there is a reputable local manufacturer of bedding I would certainly consider them in preference to the major retailers.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-11-2020, 03:06 AM)KC Wrote: I just have to give a shout out to Nebraska Furniture Mart.  Took my daughter to Omaha Sunday to pick up several items, and that warehouse/pickup operation is amazing.  I've never been in a store or even looked at their website, but we'll be doing business there in the future for sure.  
Yes

NFM ain't what they used to be.  If they have it in stock, yes, you'll be able to get it right away.  If it has to be ordered, well, it might get here, might not.  To be sure, supply chain is an adventure all over the country right now.  But NFM has been overpromising and underdelivering for a number of years now, in our view.

Can go into detail, but don't wish to hijack this thread.
Nebraska Furniture Mart has been a customer of our for several years.  My only comment is that they pay their bills on time.  So I suspect that the hold up on delivery is not related to their ability to pay their bills.
Hijacking is customary!!
Big Grin

Nebraska Furniture is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company is experiencing problems getting some items for stock/delivery.  We have had to wait up to two weeks for an item in the past, but they generally tell you about a wait. The only exception was a double basket deep fryer we bought in March. I got regular email updates about an adjusted delivery(due to the pandemic) and finally got the fryer in August. Bought a multi piece entertainment center and they replaced one piece twice and finally the entire assembly because of errors. Their customer service is really good.
I went to Lowes to buy a small freezer.  They said that freezers ordered in May had not yet been produced.  Apparently the freezer manufacturer was not an "essential industry". 

I expect that most furniture manufacturers are not listed as "essential" either.  The delays could be entirely out of NFM's control.
We just bought a new mattress, and we are very happy with it! I think we've managed to buy an awesome one because I always consider every aspect when I'm shopping for a suitable mattress. Obviously, you're not buying it for life, but you're still buying it for long-term use. My husband has recently been in an accident, nothing major, but he was hospitalized and treated for minor spinal trauma. Since then, he has back pains and needs additional comfort. Sleeping on a hard mattress is not an option anymore, so we went and bought an orthopedic one after choosing it on bestmattress.co.uk, because it's one thing when you see it on the website and another when you actually sit on it and feel how it supports you.