upright freezer
We've been looking for an upright frost free freezer. Best Buy advertises 13.8 Cu. Ft. Upright Convertible Freezer/Refrigerator. I wonder what is a "convertible" refrigerator/freezer? I know what the term convertible means, but I just never heard applied in this manner.

Anybody familiar with this type of product?

Jim
Jim
From the Insignia Quick Start Guide:

Switching between Freezer and Refrigerator modes This freezer has an advanced design feature that lets you change it from a freezer to a refrigerator. Using the control panel on the freezer 1 Press and hold the Lock button for three seconds. 2 Press and hold the Freezer/Fridge button for three seconds. The panel beeps and the indicator changes to the new mode. 

So it can be either a fridge or a freezer. Cool concept....
I have one, and only use it a a frig (in the shop). There is a switch on mine inside to change over to freezer mode. We've had this thing for probably 6 years or so with no problems. I was looking for a refrigerator that didn't have a freezer when I found this. Until then, I didn't know they existed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Interesting concept. 

Upright freezers are a pain to use. Every time you open the door stuff falls out of it. You also can't get as much in because there isn't anything to keep stuff on the shelves. 

I wish they would start making refrigerators that had the fridge side and freezer side flipped size wise. We have allot more need for freezer space than fridge space.
(11-09-2020, 08:11 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Interesting concept. 

Upright freezers are a pain to use. Every time you open the door stuff falls out of it. You also can't get as much in because there isn't anything to keep stuff on the shelves. 

I wish they would start making refrigerators that had the fridge side and freezer side flipped size wise. We have allot more need for freezer space than fridge space.

Just slow a couple of gears down and use a bit of thought, and you can stack an upright full.
Bought ours in 1984-5? and wouldn't trade it for a couple of chest freezers.
Seldom ever have anything slide off a shelf, and they are full.
Takes up less floor space, and don't have to dig 3 feet down pulling stuff out to find something.

Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-09-2020, 09:33 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Just slow a couple of gears down and use a bit of thought, and you can stack an upright full.
Bought ours in 1984-5? and wouldn't trade it for a couple of chest freezers.
Seldom ever have anything slide off a shelf, and they are full.
Takes up less floor space, and don't have to dig 3 feet down pulling stuff out to find something.

Winkgrin

Tell me your secret, PLEASE.  I hate the freezer section of our side-by-side.  Stuff falls out the front and gets lost in back.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
To me, neither concept (upright versus chest) is perfect, they both have faults as decribed above. It's kind of a pick-your-poison type thing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-09-2020, 09:38 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Tell me your secret, PLEASE.  I hate the freezer section of our side-by-side.  Stuff falls out the front and gets lost in back.

Mmmm. It's mostly all about the position Carolyn. Like moving, learn to be a good stacker/packer.
Big Grin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Except a lot of the stuff in our freezer doesn’t stack well. OTOH, I bought a small chest freezer to use in the van in the summer. The stuff that doesn’t stack in the upright fits perfectly in the chest.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(11-10-2020, 09:50 AM)MsNomer Wrote: Except a lot of the stuff in our freezer doesn’t stack well.  OTOH, I bought a small chest freezer to use in the van in the summer.  The stuff that doesn’t stack in the upright fits perfectly in the chest.

Exactly. And then couple that with extremely poor design of freezer shelving. The shelving should be angled lower at the back and you also need a bungee net of some sort on each shelf to keep stuff from falling out. If everything was perfectly square and flat it wouldn't be an issue. 

Oh and don't get started on fridge and freezer doors that won't stay open and keep closing on you while you are trying to dig through the freezer. Fridge design ended back in the 1950s. And now they have brought back those horrible freezer on bottom units they had back then. Gotta bend way over to get stuff out of a tiny freezer and then you only have a tiny ice maker.