Where to buy a round?
(11-09-2020, 08:21 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Shoot him an email and let him know what you are looking for  http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm   Sanford Moss,    He found some snipes bill planes for me at a fantastic price, and his terms are old school.  You confirm the order, he ships it to you,  you inspect, and if you like, you pay.    It is great to see that people can still operate that way - all based on trust.

He is no longer in the tool selling biz
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-10-2020, 10:55 PM)Aram Wrote: He is no longer in the tool selling biz

Sorry to hear that.  I checked his website and it said last updated April -  and I assumed COVID had slowed down his updates.  Great person to deal with and his prices were extremely good, IMO.
(11-09-2020, 07:55 PM)Aram Wrote: I'm looking for a round plane with a radius about 3/8". Aside from eBay or lucking out on the Swap and Sell section here, where is a good place to look? Want used and inexpensive.

Thanks.

Josh may have what you are looking for, and his prices are very reasonable.
https://www.hyperkitten.com/
(11-11-2020, 11:26 AM)John Walkowiak Wrote: Josh may have what you are looking for, and his prices are very reasonable.
https://www.hyperkitten.com/

Thank you
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-10-2020, 09:23 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: The pair thing makes no sense to me. First time I read that was in Michael Dunbar’s seminal text “restoring tuning and using classic hand tools”. He recommended always buying matching pairs. Years after reading the book, I ran into Mike (what a thrill) in a Williamsburg conference and asked why he wrote that. He didn’t have a good answer. I wondered if it was that you could use one to clean up the other.

Otherwise, ogees et al don’t care and often look better to me with smaller rounds.

Fair enough.  New ones are almost exclusively sold in pairs.  Otherwise, you make your own or buy used.

I checked a few of my books on the subject.  Matthew Bickford recommends buying in sets in his book, Mouldings In Practice, and many of his moulding sequences recommend the use of a matching set.  The book, The Practical Woodworker recommends only 3 rounds and no hollows, since more conventional planes and sandpaper can be used to make the convex part of a moulding.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
adamcherubini Wrote:[/url]The pair thing makes no sense to me. First time I read that was in Michael Dunbar’s seminal text “restoring tuning and using classic hand tools”. He recommended always buying matching pairs. Years after reading the book, I ran into Mike (what a thrill) in a Williamsburg conference and asked why he wrote that. He didn’t have a good answer. I wondered if it was that you could use one to clean up the other.

I bought mine many years ago, and at that time many suggested a half set - which is nine pairs of H & R's - ( a full set is 18 pairs )   so that is what I did and while it is nice to have a half set,  there are many I have never used.

Many besides Michael suggest you buy in pairs , but that is really only if you think you want to do ogees,  or other shapes where the concave and convex are the same radius. [url=https://blog.lostartpress.com/2012/07/26/moulding-planes-where-to-start/]https://blog.lostartpress.com/2012/07/26/moulding-planes-where-to-start/
   though in many cases, you can do a good job of the convex shape with a rabbet plane followed by a card scraper and some sandpaper.   I find I use the 6/16 the most, and if I was starting out again, I would start with a 4, 6 and 8. 
Even if we think that’s true, having the pairs from the same maker, matched together, surely that can’t be a requirement to make a handsome ogee. Just get any 2 planes in good shape, right? If they aren’t EXACT matches how could that possibly matter? Just get any 2 #6 planes.

I think the reason for this recommendation is the ability to touch up one sole using the other tool. Since that’s how they were originally made. If you have random planes, you can’t just replane their soles easily.

But in terms of cutting moldings, the matched pair thing I think is a misunderstanding.

In terms of this thread, I guess my advice is just to constantly shop for molding planes, and buy whatever you find that’s cheap and in decent shape. I used to carry a card in my wallet with a list of planes I was looking for. If I was in an antique shop or flea market, I could avoid buying duplicates.