Ultrasonic pest control recommendation needed
(11-11-2020, 08:31 AM)WxMan Wrote: You didn't ask, but I'll offer up anyway, these are my "go-to" traps:  Jawz

I have 12 of them right now.  Some of these traps have been in service for five years.  Only ever had three that I've pitched out for breakage.  Also effective well over 90% of the time.  I've found that the traditional wood base "snap-trap" was easily robbed by the mice, and the more they were exposed to those, the less successful they were.

As for cats, my experience is that well-fed house cats make poor mousers.

Wx,

Dayum! That trap looks absolutely medieval. Geez. I'd imagine that it is wicked effective.

We concur with your assessment of well fed cats not being mousers having watched a mouse scurry past a (somewhat) wide awake cat that barely acknowledged the mouse existed.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Am surrounded by feral cats(neighbor feeds them).
Upset

Those Jawz traps are great!!!!!!! We only have a problem in two areas and I keep traps set(with peanut butter bait) in those two areas. Just a couple all summer, but expect more come cold weather.
Use Catchmaster Glue boards.

Yes

We don't even fold them, but leave them open, and place them along the edges of the garage floor.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Those catch bullfrogs too....
VH07V  
Work on chipmunks and snakes too.
A good pest control guy might tell you how mice are coming in.  Common places are around the electrical wire entry and pipes.  I have had copper mesh put in there. Underneath doors is another way.  Try the easy fix then call a decent pest controller.  No on the electric mouse controller.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(11-10-2020, 08:56 PM)Admiral Wrote: 5 gallon bucket mouse trap; there are many designs on youtube, this is one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEaAlxCgO5U

You are correct, many designs on u tube.  I have one called "Walk the Plank"  bought it for $14 or so.  Catch 3 to 8 every evening in the barn.  I put about 3 inches of water in the bottom with a splash of antifreeze. Works well in-house as well but not many there.  It resets after each catch. 
Regards, Bill
The consensus is that they don't work.

https://www.nachi.org/ultrasonic-pest-repellers.htm

But Do They Work?

Studies designed to investigate the efficacy of ultrasonic pest repellents have shown mixed results. One extensive test performed by Kansas State University in 2002 found that the devices were effective at repelling some insects, such as crickets, but the same devices had little effect on cockroaches. Ants and spiders were unaffected by any of the devices. Of the pests that seem to be bothered by the noise, some tests have shown that they soon become habituated as they realize the noise is harmless. Even models proven successful in tests are unlikely to perform adequately in real-world situations, where signal strength rapidly diminishes and can be blocked by walls and furniture.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-11-2020, 08:31 AM)WxMan Wrote: You didn't ask, but I'll offer up anyway, these are my "go-to" traps:  Jawz

I have 12 of them right now.  Some of these traps have been in service for five years.  Only ever had three that I've pitched out for breakage.  Also effective well over 90% of the time.  I've found that the traditional wood base "snap-trap" was easily robbed by the mice, and the more they were exposed to those, the less successful they were.

As for cats, my experience is that well-fed house cats make poor mousers.

My old Maine Coon cat was a good mouser.  He never killed them outright.  He would play "catch and release" over and over again until they dropped from fatigue.  And he never ate one either. 

My Norwegian Forest Cats had no interest at all in mice.  Hunger did not seem to play in the formula.

I had good luck with the humane catch and release traps, which end up being cheaper than the catch and kill traps.  Once you've killed a mouse in a trap they avoid it like the plague.  I guess the odor remains.

The key thing that the instructions made clear was that you should always wear surgical gloves when handling any traps. That way your odor is not on the traps.  And if you are going to release them, do so at least 3 miles from home so that they don't make it back.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-10-2021, 03:05 PM)Cooler Wrote: My old Maine Coon cat was a good mouser.  He never killed them outright.  He would play "catch and release" over and over again until they dropped from fatigue.  And he never ate one either. 

My Norwegian Forest Cats had no interest at all in mice.  Hunger did not seem to play in the formula.

I had good luck with the humane catch and release traps, which end up being cheaper than the catch and kill traps.  Once you've killed a mouse in a trap they avoid it like the plague.  I guess the odor remains.

The key thing that the instructions made clear was that you should always wear surgical gloves when handling any traps. That way your odor is not on the traps.  And if you are going to release them, do so at least 3 miles from home so that they don't make it back.

Neither of our cats were reliable mousers.  They both took way more birds than mice.

Maybe Iowa mice are different, but the mice here have never shied away from the traps if I've handled them; I used to wear nitrile gloves when handling them, but no more.  I also reuse traps over and over.

We have a rural acreage.  When we moved out here in 2014, the house and shop building were overrun by mice.  I started with the standard snap traps.  I had 12 traps set all the time.  Daily take maxed out at 11.  However, the mice figured out how to rob those traps without setting them off, well over 90% of the time.  I tried baiting in certain ways, baiting a piece of string tied to the trigger, fine tuning the sensitivity...you name it, I tried it.  I tried the 5-gallon bucket thing; only ever caught two in the bucket.

I tried a couple of the Jawz traps.  Early success led me to keep a dozen of those traps.  They are all I use.  I use them until they break, and that has only happened to three of them over the past six years.  They have caught literally hundreds of mice.  I only clean them if they become bloody.  Several of the traps have damage on corners where mice have tried to gnaw their way out of the trap.

Using the Jawz traps, I gradually narrowed "mouse zones" to three specific spots in the basement, and all three are on the sill plate on top of the foundation.  I haven't found the entry holes for those hot spots, but I keep traps there, and I get 3-4 per month now.  There is no evidence (mouse damage/droppings) anywhere, so I have them under control.  I think those traps are getting them soon after the enter the dwelling.  Shop building hasn't had evidence of a mouse since 2015.