Baby-Safe Paint for Toys?
Question 
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build some wooden toys that would be safe for a baby to gnaw on, but want an opaque glossy painted finish. I've done some random searching but have not found anything that is confirmed as safe in this application.

Does anyone know of such a product? I saw that Rustoleum has a "Painter's Touch" that says it is safe for toys, but it doesn't specify whether it is safe for babies. It also doesn't appear to be available outside of the UK.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers!
Scott
(11-11-2020, 01:11 PM)cromulentone Wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build some wooden toys that would be safe for a baby to gnaw on, but want an opaque glossy painted finish. I've done some random searching but have not found anything that is confirmed as safe in this application.

Does anyone know of such a product? I saw that Rustoleum has a "Painter's Touch" that says it is safe for toys, but it doesn't specify whether it is safe for babies. It also doesn't appear to be available outside of the UK.

Cheers!
Scott

Painter's Touch is definitely available here, unless you're referring to a specific subtype.

To answer the question, though, any modern paint should be safe for babies once dry.
Yes the pundits all say that once cured any finish sold in the US is foodsafe. The The Real Milk Paint Co advertises their milk paint as safe for children.  

John
Shellac is food safe.  M & Ms are coated with shellac.  Of course your color selection would be limited.  But perhaps color tinting would be acceptable.

A google search for "baby safe paints for" yields this:  https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...safe+paint
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If were you might look this article as well as others on-line:
https://homefixated.com/safe-finishes-wood-toys/

Big thing is knowing when any finish is fully cured! Understanding difference between recoat times, for use, not the same as fully cured time like this article explains:
https://generalfinishes.com/faq/what-dif...-cure-time
Bill
Cure times are not linear.  While a finish might cure 50% in 24 hours and 75% in 48 hours, that final bit of curing continues for a considerable amount of time.  I've read that 200 hours of cure time will yield 90% cure.  I don't know how they come up with those numbers.

I do know that waiting 8 days after applying an oil based poly finish I can no longer scratch the surface with my fingernails, but I can still scratch it with the edge of a copper penny.

But that same finish that is several years old cannot be scratched with that same coin.  So the cure continues well past the 200 hours that is frequently given as a "full cure" time.  The 30 days is probably more accurate, but I doubt that even 30 days is 100% cured on finishes with multiple coats. 

How that relates to being child safe is not clear to me, however a fully cured poly finish would be very difficult to chip off and enter the digestive system of an infant.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-04-2022, 03:11 PM)jamebritt Wrote: I also prefer wooden toys for children. They are not as harmful as plastic toys. I ordered a set of wooden toys at LINK DELETED There are many more gift ideas for your little ones. One-year-olds need a lot of attention. So it is important to find interesting ways to spend time with them. Ordinary toys and books may not interest the child. We plan to buy a sports mat for massage and exercise with the baby. Of course, these are simple exercises, but they are very useful. I think that gifts for children should be chosen wisely.

SPAMMER DISPATCHED.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(11-11-2020, 01:11 PM)cromulentone Wrote: Hi everyone,

Cheers!
Scott
Non Toxic and Child-Safe Paints for Wooden Toys | Real Milk Paint

Old-fashioned, but useful.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.