Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless?
(11-17-2020, 12:57 PM)overland Wrote: I ended up getting the Makita, because I already have a drill and small circular saw. The saw isn't very powerful but it's handy for the small jobs that I use it for.

Good choice.  There are a ton of accessories for it that are very useful.  

John
"I ended up getting the Makita, because I already have a drill and small circular saw. The saw isn't very powerful but it's handy for the small jobs that I use it for."

I think cordless is better for this kind of stuff. I started with a Rdigid corded, which works well. Once I got into the Dewalt 20V stuff, I got one of those. The battery does make it more top heavy, but a cord has it's own issues.

90% of what I do is ease corners or make chamfers on small parts. The other 10% is routing out areas with a small straight bit when it's not practical for the large router. A cordless with less power is just fine for this.

I hate the ergonomics of these small trim routers, makes my hand hurt after a while.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(12-17-2021, 08:17 AM)RPE1 Wrote: I just purchased a Ridgid corded 5.5 amp trim router.  It has everything you need on it.  $99 on line from Home Depot.  Delivered to my door.  It also comes with a palm sander (free).  Just the router costs $129 normally. It's your money.

RP

my Ridgid trim router, turns on sometimes, other times not. Definitely has a squeal when it turns on, until its up to speed.  Hasn't been used that much, I wouldn't buy another.

Its the only trim router, out of 4, that I own that's flakey like that.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I have a Bosch, Porter Cable and Makita corded palm routers and the one I reach for 99 % of the time is my Makita cordless router. I love it. It fits in my plunge base for the corded palm router too.

Tom
Isn't a palm router smaller than a regular hand-held router?  A "palm" router suggests to me the need for portability rather than heavy duty work.  And, (I'm guessing here), don't most palm routers use quarter inch router bits?  I have both a corded and a cordless palm router.  The corded is a Ridgid that I won in a drawing.  The cordless is a DeWalt 20v router.  I like using the cordless because there's no cord to get in the way.  It's just easier to use.  Having said that, if I need to make a deeper, heavier cut I'm probably going to skip the Ridgid and go directly to my Bosch 1617 1/2-inch router.

Bottom line is if I was making the choice today between a corded or cordless router I'd go with the cordless.
(12-20-2021, 06:04 PM)dg152 Wrote: Isn't a palm router smaller than a regular hand-held router?  A "palm" router suggests to me the need for portability rather than heavy duty work.  And, (I'm guessing here), don't most palm routers use quarter inch router bits?  I have both a corded and a cordless palm router.  The corded is a Ridgid that I won in a drawing.  The cordless is a DeWalt 20v router.  I like using the cordless because there's no cord to get in the way.  It's just easier to use.  Having said that, if I need to make a deeper, heavier cut I'm probably going to skip the Ridgid and go directly to my Bosch 1617 1/2-inch router.

Bottom line is if I was making the choice today between a corded or cordless router I'd go with the cordless.

I agree 100%. Application, application application governs the routers use. When battery powered routers first came out no. But today, absolutely. It is just like battery powered drills and circular saw, they have came a long way since their beginnings. If you have a battery powered drill or anything else I would stick with that brand. More batteries.  Especially right now, buy a couple of 4 or 5 amp batteries and a charger and get a free tool. If you have a brands drill with two batteries , all of the sudden you have 4 batteries and probably never have to buy a replacement battery at their inflated cost.

Tom
(12-21-2021, 11:16 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I agree 100%. Application, application application governs the routers use. When battery powered routers first came out no. But today, absolutely. It is just like battery powered drills and circular saw, they have came a long way since their beginnings. If you have a battery powered drill or anything else I would stick with that brand. More batteries.  Especially right now, buy a couple of 4 or 5 amp batteries and a charger and get a free tool. If you have a brands drill with two batteries , all of the sudden you have 4 batteries and probably never have to buy a replacement battery at their inflated cost.

Tom

I won a bunch ($5k worth) of Ridgid tools years ago and have stuck with their 18v line, for better or worse, since then.

DirectToolsOutlet.com recently had a pair of factory blemished 4ah batteries....$50/pair.  normally I'd agree about the inflated battery cost...but $25 for a 4ah battery is a good deal. 

I've bought a number of factory blem'd tools from them and have yet to figure out what the blemishes are.  The tools look perfect...maybe its just the box that's blem'd...who cares about that.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark