Which palm / trim router? Corded or cordless?
(11-13-2020, 12:06 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: If you’re going to go cordless , this is the router to have:

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschto...-196784-p/

The others are good routers, they’re just worse compromises in my view.  Top heavy, low run time (comparatively), dust collection hit/miss.  And if you use a vac hose , might as well have a corded one anyway.

Check into the new Milwaukee.  It’s the latest one in the category and has great early feedback.

It is fantastic.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-13-2020, 01:24 PM)Aram Wrote: It is fantastic.

i have a bunch of trim routers, including the colt, and two of the milwaukees.  when i reach for one now, 99% of the time it's one of the milwaukees.  good routers.
If I were doing more countertop work, there would be a cordless one in the shop.

Last ones we built, my friend brought his cordless brad nailer for the build-up. It was so nice not fighting an air hose even though we were in the shop.

Ed
I ended up getting the Makita, because I already have a drill and small circular saw. The saw isn't very powerful but it's handy for the small jobs that I use it for.
(11-12-2020, 04:38 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I purchased the Dewalt 20v trim router and I love it.  No more chasing cords.  Its impressive how long the batteries last.

Previous to that, the cordless sander is even more impressive.  I've used mine for a few years and I've given two of my corded sanders away.

Another great tool to go cordless is the jigsaw.  No more herding cords on large curved cuts.   I have no regrets on making the switch.

What battery are you using?  I'm thinking a big battery would make it top heavy.  And maybe a small 1.5 or 2 ah battery might be ok.  

Not that I need it or anything, but there was a local guy yesterday selling a bare tool DeWalt cordless router for $100.  I looked at it for a while, but decided I probably didn't need the thing.
I own the makita lxt cordless, a colt, and a 611 dewalt in the small router category. Dewalt kit with plunge base is nices. Makita is super handy. Colt i loan out but is is ok.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(11-11-2020, 08:37 PM)overland Wrote: I was thinking of getting a Bosch palm router, which is corded. Then I saw that Makita makes a small cordless 18v router. Any recommendations? I do have some other 18v Makita products, including a small circular saw which I've found pretty handy.

I also have some 18V Makita tools so I bought the cordless Makita. I believe the bare tool was about the same price as the corded Bosch. It's great for what I use it for, which is mainly keeping a small roundover bit in it. Like others have said, keep your expectations for power low and you won't be disappointed. I typically use it 5-10 minutes at a time and never really had a job where running down the battery was an issue. I have plenty of other corded routers, so the cordless filled a niche for me. I've found it to be pretty handy and I would buy it again.
I have the 18v Makita and its great. I also got the plunge and several other bases for it. The ones from the corded router fit so there are lots of options.
For a handheld, I would have no problem with Makita XTR01Z 18V LXT cordless. Won't get caught while you're trying to keep a smooth consistent pass going. Since you already have the batteries, if the prices of the two options were fairly close, I would lean towards cordless.
Check here to details about this router.
(11-11-2020, 08:37 PM)overland Wrote: I was thinking of getting a Bosch palm router, which is corded. Then I saw that Makita makes a small cordless 18v router. Any recommendations? I do have some other 18v Makita products, including a small circular saw which I've found pretty handy.

I just purchased a Ridgid corded 5.5 amp trim router.  It has everything you need on it.  $99 on line from Home Depot.  Delivered to my door.  It also comes with a palm sander (free).  Just the router costs $129 normally. It's your money.

RP