Refinishing cedar chest
So about 10 years ago I inherited an old cedar chest from my great aunt. No identification or anything so it's probably either a Roos Co or Standard Line chest. I had stripped it and did a wiping varnish for the finish. I ended up making a base for it and it is now a place to sit and tie your shoes by my front door.

Yesterday I see an ad on Nextdoor for a cedar chest, free at curb. I figured there's no way it's still there 3 hours later but went to check and alas it was. Top is loose because a few screws are missing, nothing that some cedar shims and wood glue cant fix. I am sometimes amazed at what people just throw away.

It looks very similar to the one I inherited and was made by Standard Line Co. The finish on top is worn, has some alligatoring, marker and paint on it. Finish looks like shellac to me and a drop of alcohol confirmed it. I am guessing amber or garnet shellac. The case is in great shape but the finish has raised a bit on the knots on the whole chest.

I was thinking of giving the top a light sanding with a 1/4 sheet sander and 220 grit and hit it with Sealcoat followed up by a flat nitro lacquer and hand sand the box, followed up by same topcoats.
This found piece will be a coffee table in the master BR sitting area.

Would I be better off using a stripper or would you sand it? Should I just stick with a shellac coat or will my plan with a final nitro coat work?

I did find evidence that the chest I inherited did have legs at one time so it could also be a Standard Line. In any case I just think it's cool that I got it. A few months ago I scored a haul of cedar, redwood and mahoghany from Nextdoor, so this was another success in an otherwise crappy year.

Attached Files Image(s)

I would gently remove the shellac with alcohol, gently sand as little as possible with fine grit, put new shellac on it and call it done.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
So I decided to give it a light sanding to clean up the alligatored finish without sanding through the patina of 80 year old wood. I hit it with Sealcoat and ended up with some satin lacquer to knock down the sheen from the shellac.

Before pic of the alligator finish above in my original post and what it looks like now. Not perfect but good enough for an antique. I bent the hinges back in to shape and fixed the stripped out screw holes. Top now functions like the day it left the factory. Should be good for another 80 years.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well done, Tom.  That looks great.  

John
(11-13-2020, 08:09 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Well done, Tom.  That looks great.  

John

Yes, old cedar really looks good.

BTW right or wrong, scraping is my method of choice for removing shellac.