What is this tool?
It came with an old walker turner 40's wood lathe I picked up and I'm restoring. It may not be anything related. I've seen this before but I can't put my finger on it. 

What is it?

[Image: gT3qDg6.jpg]
(11-12-2020, 02:21 PM)daddo Wrote: It came with an old walker turner 40's wood lathe I picked up and I'm restoring. It may not be anything related. I've seen this before but I can't put my finger on it. 

What is it?

[Image: gT3qDg6.jpg]
Never seen this relating to a lathe so it could be just something tossed in by accident.  Now have I seen anything like it: yes.  There was something very similar to this on a McCormick Binder we used on the farm, it was an an adjust on some of the shafts.  The bolt was longer and it pushed against some pillow blocks to adjust tension on some of the shafts.  The piece acted much like a jam nut to hold the bolt in place once the bolt was adjusted.
Not the shape that I would necessarily expect, but it might be the hold-down for a second banjo that you could add between the first banjo and the tailstock without removing the first banjo.

Did the lathe come with 2 banjos and a tool rest with 2 posts?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-12-2020, 09:11 PM)iclark Wrote: Not the shape that I would necessarily expect, but it might be the hold-down for a second banjo that you could add between the first banjo and the tailstock without removing the first banjo.

Did the lathe come with 2 banjos and a tool rest with 2 posts?

Just one banjo to accept one rest.

Two rests (Long and short) with just one post each.
"Never seen this relating to a lathe so it could be just something tossed in by accident.  Now have I seen anything like it: yes.  There was something very similar to this on a McCormick Binder we used on the farm, it was an an adjust on some of the shafts.  The bolt was longer and it pushed against some pillow blocks to adjust tension on some of the shafts.  The piece acted much like a jam nut to hold the bolt in place once the bolt was adjusted."

That's interesting. The lathe was in a huge shop on a farm.