Fridge water line
Water from the LG fridge in Nebraska has a horrible taste.  Much like what I remember water from an outdoor hose as a kid.   I used what I thought was a 'good' quality braided supply line.  It's been that way since new (sometime last year).  I replaced the unit water filter last week and ran a couple gallons through it... and no unpleasant taste.   Yay!  Couple days later LOML is complaining again.  WTH?
Braided hose has rubber tube inside? I always use copper line. Or the plastic type, but prefer the copper.
^^^What He Said^^^ To many failures with plastic tubing.
(11-16-2020, 02:00 PM)Flat Lander Wrote: ^^^What He Said^^^ To many failures with plastic tubing.

I thought that was what the braiding was for.  I don't know what else to blame, but I almost can't imagine it's the line.  They must sell a bazillion of them.  

I don't trust myself with a copper line.   Altho I've had them in the past, I worried every time I pushed the fridge back in place.
(11-16-2020, 05:53 PM)KC Wrote: I thought that was what the braiding was for.  I don't know what else to blame, but I almost can't imagine it's the line.  They must sell a bazillion of them.  

I don't trust myself with a copper line.   Altho I've had them in the past, I worried every time I pushed the fridge back in place.

I think what K L meant that the s.s. supply has rubber inside, possible tasting like garden hose as you stated. The plastic tubing is the line the manuf. uses to supply from solenoid to ice maker.

Is this the only place you have the garden hose taste at the frig.? The plastic tubing is economical and would indicate if it's the current supply line. I've used s.s. supply lines on sinks but not for ice maker lines. Copper is preferred and make 3 - 2' coils which will allow to come out and go back like a spring.

Plastic tube kit
If your fridge water is run off a reverse osmosis filter do not use copper. The liner of the flexible stainless hoses is PVC. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them have issues with the PVC outgassing and making the water taste funny. When you use RO water and copper the water will erode the copper and impart an odd flavor into the water and you really don't want to be drinking water with copper in it. Coppers use in water pipes relies on the minerals in the water to form a protective coating inside the pipe. RO water can be corrosive in comparison.
(11-17-2020, 07:01 AM)Flat Lander Wrote: I think what K L meant that the s.s. supply has rubber inside, possible tasting like garden hose as you stated. The plastic tubing is the line the manuf. uses to supply from solenoid to ice maker.

Is this the only place you have the garden hose taste at the frig.? The plastic tubing is economical and would indicate if it's the current supply line. I've used s.s. supply lines on sinks but not for ice maker lines. Copper is preferred and make 3 - 2' coils which will allow to come out and go back like a spring.

Plastic tube kit

Yep. Only bad taste is at the fridge water and ice maker.  Still wows me that a new filter 'cleaned' it up for a matter of hours. And thanks for the linky.
(11-17-2020, 05:19 PM)KC Wrote: Yep. Only bad taste is at the fridge water and ice maker.  Still wows me that a new filter 'cleaned' it up for a matter of hours.  And thanks for the linky.

The plastic lines on the fridge is pex tubing.  The link provided is also pex tubing which would be a good place to start.   Roly
How's the waters taste out of the tap- though it's not filtered is it?

If it's just bad taste just from the fridge, I would think all that plastic from the line and then the plastic tank in the fridge is causing it.

I know someone who connected their line on the hot water side that had problems- might check that just in case.

Our new fridge is coming in on Saturday. They wanted to sell me on plastic- I told them I would stay with copper- thanks. The last plastic tube leaked and ruined the flooring. I would guess though the braided ones are much better.
(11-18-2020, 04:10 PM)daddo Wrote: How's the waters taste out of the tap- though it's not filtered is it?

If it's just bad taste just from the fridge, I would think all that plastic from the line and then the plastic tank in the fridge is causing it.

I know someone who connected their line on the hot water side that had problems- might check that just in case.

Our new fridge is coming in on Saturday. They wanted to sell me on plastic- I told them I would stay with copper- thanks. The last plastic tube leaked and ruined the flooring.  I would guess though the braided ones are much better.

I went with that because I figured it would be less likely to get crimped/leak.  The water from the tap is fine, and I'm sure I intended to go from the cold line... but I prolly oughta check that.  The faucet hot/cold is right.  It did take me a few hours to figure out that the hot/cold lines to the shower were reversed.  I just assumed the professional plumber before me meant that red was hot and blue was cold.  NOT.  
Laugh

I'll be up there again in a few weeks to check it out.  
Sarcasm