Shop Bench/Organization
Now that I've gotten settled in the new building, I'm trying to clean up storage a bit.  I have two benches on the woodworking part.  My main bench is one I built before that has drawers and a shelf.  I clean it off each time I use it and don't store anything on the top.  I can work on both sides of it and really like it.  I might add an end vise at some point.

The second bench has become the "junk" bench.  I don't want to get rid of it because I built it for my Mom, but I might reallocate it for my wife to use.  The pegboard has a lot of the larger and most commonly used tools.  I have a craftsman tool chest that houses most of my smaller woodworking tools.  The upper cabinets have mainly car parts in them now, but I'm thinking about moving stuff around and storing my cordless power tools there.

The cans of finish and stain will be moved to some other shelves.  I have some shelves elsewhere in the shop for project part storage.  I have lumber storage racks up high.  I'm wondering if I could build something better here for storage and a little work area.  My instinct would be cabinets with drawers, but I'm wondering if that's the best option.  Thoughts?

Wall space is at a premium in the shop at this point.  The current bench also serves the purpose of being a decoy bench so that clutter doesn't reach the main bench.  Any thoughts or ideas?  Pictures are always good.  Most image searches turn up benches or cabinets built as a workbench and a top that has more overhang.

Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I guess I stumped the group.  
Big Grin
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
It is hard to make suggestions without getting a better idea of the work you do.  For me,  I do a lot of hand work, so I have a fairly typical bench with vise, and have that close to a wall.  The wall has racks for chisels and some hand tools, and a tool chest for planes, more chisels, etc.  Opposite that,  I have a cheap dresser that I use for additional tool storage, so probably over 50% of my tools are in reach.    I have a powered section located closer to the middle of the garage with table saw, Jointer - planer, and bandsaw.     Then I have two assembly tables,  one a decent sized one that I built in a former garage, and is for smaller glue ups  ( there are always things on my main bench, so I don't use that for glue ups)  and a rolling cart sized table that I built for larger projects.  The table is pretty small, but I stack lumber on it when I am working on larger things, like 6 foot long desk tops, and that lets me do the final sanding and finishing.   My suggestion is to look at as many designs as you can,  there are a few books on it, as well as magazine articles, and see what appeals to you and the work you do.  Also, to the extent you can, put things on wheels, that makes rearranging things much easier if you change your mind.
I would be inclined to move the working bench closer to the "decoy" bench.  Many times I have been working on my bench and wished I had some place handy to put something down or to work on something else related to the project that is on the main bench and taking all the space.  I would also make an effort to keep both tops cleared so they are available for the projects (I know, I know.  Keep two benches cleared. Impossible right?)

I might even consider upgrading mom's bench a little with some drawers, etc that compliment the main bench in function.
My current bench has a stack of rough maple sitting under it.

My future bench will be 8' x 40" there will be three sections of drawers on each side. Drawers will be fairly shallow. Main framework is going to be made from microlams and the top from maple both of which i allready have. There will be a craftsman vise on one side that belonged to my mother. I have two wilton vises that are both going to be mounted about 2' apart on one of the ends. A couple boads or microlams set between vises will allow for material up to 2' wide to be held by both vises simultaneously. This is basicly a cheap version twin screw vise, with more capacity.

All the tools that don't have cords will go in the drawers. Mobility will be jacking up the stringer on one end and putting a small dolly under each leg. Repeating this on other end.

Corded tools, drill bits, shaper bits, hardware, and battery powered tools are already in drawers under the drill press and miter station.
My .02
Karl

My main bench is 4x8. My decoy bench, 4x6, (pilemhigh) is right next to it, with room to walk between.
The whole layout was to stage wannabe projects and my router pocket cutter on the decoy bench, leaving the *workbench* free of clutter.
Well, that works just fine if you stay busy doing projects, moving stuff off and onto the main bench.
If you stall out for awhile, like I have, it piles up also.

AFS

Any flat surface.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020