Noise levels in my workshop
I have added a Powered Tools and Machinery section to my website.

In this section I plan to add articles about the power tools and machines that I use in my workshop, with the modifications I have made over the years, along with the techniques which I hope others will find helpful in using them to dimension and create joinery.

The first article is just a baseline for the level of noise for the machines and power tools I have.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered%20T...kshop.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,  pretty interesting results.   I keep two ear muffs - regular Peltors, in the shop and tend to use hearing protection for nearly everything but my lathe or cordless tools.  Surprised your jointer thickness planer is so quiet, that is impressive.
I did this awhile ago in my shop for just stationary tools. I measured the sound level with a phone app from about 4ft away. Remember that none of tools were engaged with any wood which wood significantly change a lot of these values.
A bunch of tools read in the high 60's, like my 8" 2HP jointer, 20" 5HP planer, 3HP Unisaw, 17" and 18" bandsaws, drum sander, edge sander, and 80 gal compressor, etc. A few of the other stationary tools were quieter in the 50 and low 60' like the spindle sander, lathe, drill press, etc. The loudest machine in my shop was my cyclone dust collector which rattles in at 80 dB.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Derek,
Interesting sound information, amazing that the circular saw is the noisest but essentially the smallest tool in the shop. 3M peltors and or soft earplugs work well for me in the shop.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I started using the Sensgard Hearing Protection. They are lightweight and really cut back on the noise.
Dave

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip43.html
  • Thickness planer and Radial Arm Saw:  105DB
  • Router:  106DB
  • Table Saw:  104DB
  • Circular Saw:  110 DB
  • Screw driver:  0 DB
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.