Air-drying Ash
End sealing is to reduce the checking on the ends of boards as they dry. Wood looses moisture MUCH faster from the end grain than it does across the grain. So a log or fresh cut board will dry out much faster from the end, than the rest of the wood. As it dries, it shrinks. So you have the end 6" shrinking, and the rest of the board hasn't. Chances are a crack will open up. So slapping some wax or paint on the end of the log / board slows that end drying, and it'sd less likely to crack. 

If you don't do it, you might have to trim 6" off the ends of boards to remove the checking, so those 8' boards are only 7' usable. Exact numbers depend on "things" 

::
(11-18-2020, 03:29 PM)grwold Wrote: Hmm.  Well, too late for the "3 days after the logs are cut to length".  Unless you mean "cut into lumber"?

No, I meant when the log is cut to length.  The ends start drying as soon as the log is cut.  Sometimes you can see cracks form in a couple of hours.  I try to seal the ends immediately after cutting.  Of course that's not always possible but the sooner the better.  

John
(11-19-2020, 09:25 AM)jteneyck Wrote: No, I meant when the log is cut to length.  The ends start drying as soon as the log is cut.  Sometimes you can see cracks form in a couple of hours.  I try to seal the ends immediately after cutting.  Of course that's not always possible but the sooner the better.  

John

Thanks, John.