Fish Tank Stand
My 50 gal tank is about 500-600 lbs., I get it. But with proper lap joints all around and enough cross members correctly connected to the front and back aprons is a lot of support. I just can't my head around using 2 x 4 construction on furniture, and that's what a nice looking tank stand is.

That's my opinion and what you folks have to say makes sense also.

Jim
Jim
Back in the 70s had a small shop building tank stands for a wholesaler in the DC area.  I think the largest we built was for 125 gal.  Built both 2x4 and solid wood.  Didn't understand the demand for the 2x4, but that is what about half of the customers wanted, something cheap.  Couldn't keep up with the demand and ended up selling out after about four years.
(11-26-2020, 09:52 PM)cbygeorge Wrote: Didn't understand the demand for the 2x4, but that is what about half of the customers wanted, something cheap. 

Most non woodworkers don't understand the making of great furniture.

Jim
Jim
I very carefully built my own stand for the tank in my home theater when we moved to our house two years ago.  Had to build it prior to the tank arriving as I would have needed 6 guys to lift the tank in place.  The folks I chatted with on an aquarium forum said it is WAY overbuilt and I could likely park a truck on it, but I prefer that to the alternative!  I used mostly 2" x 6" for the construction with two middle supports.  First shot is before I covered the top and sides with 1/2" plywood, second with the tank on and in place. I then built the wall around it.

Attached Files Image(s)

You dont need 2x4's to build a sturdy stand.  A strong plywood box that wont flex will do the trick just fine.  As long as the sides dont rack, 3/4 inch ply is strong enough for the compression most home tanks setups will see.  

This was for I think a 75, its been a long time since I built it we havent had fish for a while.

[Image: 22xKtSE.png]

[Image: t78jceZ.png]

I didnt build the stand for this corner tank, but I did build the hood/top.  That was thin ply bent around to conform to the quarter pie radius.  It housed the lights and covered up the plumbing.

[Image: XRq1bQL.png]

Saltwater is a very expensive hobby.  What we spent on the fish and corals and the supplies would make my head spin today...
Saltwater is VERY pricey.  I stuck with freshwater for this tank.  And in case anyone was wondering why my stand is a tad ugly, it's entirely behind a wall so only seen by me. Went for strength and function (easy access underneath) over beauty. 
Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-03-2020, 09:02 AM)SteveMc Wrote: Saltwater is VERY pricey.  I stuck with freshwater for this tank.  And in case anyone was wondering why my stand is a tad ugly, it's entirely behind a wall so only seen by me. Went for strength and function (easy access underneath) over beauty. 
Big Grin

This is very good looking and a great addition to any home or office.
Jim
(12-03-2020, 10:43 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: This is very good looking and a great addition to any home or office.

Thanks!  It's the sidewall of our basement home theater. Gives us something to watch during commercial breaks in hockey or football. Most of the time it's more interesting than the game 
Big Grin
Quote:You dont need 2x4's to build a sturdy stand. 

True, but if you build with 2x4 AND clad it with plywood to function as bracing... 

Overbuilt? 
Probably...
Going to fail?
Not in this lifetime!! 
Big Grin