Needing a plunge router
(11-21-2020, 07:46 AM)WxMan Wrote: I have the PC690 with the associated D-handle and a plunge base.  

<snip>

I hate the plunge base.  

Well, that’s not good.  I have a brand new 690, never been used, and it’s now the only router I have.  I don’t use routers much.  
Crazy

I was thinking I could use a plunge base for it, as not having one has a lot to do with why I don’t use routers much, but I may be better off getting the Bosch.  Fixed plus plunge bases plus the router itself for not much over $200 at HD.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks for all the replies. I have the PC 690 with a fixed base. Reading up on the plunge base the original was not well liked. Reading further a improved base was introduced, PC 8931. It was said to be smoother and well liked by others, so I ordered one last night. I could not find anything in Spokane, Wa. yesterday. I should receive the base late next week. I will post what I think of it once I have used it.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(11-21-2020, 01:21 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Thanks for all the replies. I have the PC 690 with a fixed base. Reading up on the plunge base the original was not well liked. Reading further a improved base was introduced, PC 8931. It was said to be smoother and well liked by others, so I ordered one last night. I could not find anything in Spokane, Wa. yesterday. I should receive the base late next week. I will post what I think of it once I have used it.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 690 isn’t going to natively fit into the 893 plunge base.  

I believe it can be made to work with a grinder though. YMMV.

It’s a bit under powered for larger tenons, especially in end grain. I’m surprised Spokane PT didn’t have a good selection of routers. Lowe’s and the Depot usually have plunge/fixed base kits on the shelves too.
(11-19-2020, 11:42 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: My next couple of projects will require a good quality plunge router. Main use, for now, will be loose tenons. I would like a soft start, variable speed and smooth plunge. I will also get the fixed base. Which brands and models should I look at?

I like/own the Dewalt 621. But it is only a plunge router (cannot swap out the base). Very good plunge action and accuracy.
(11-21-2020, 05:18 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 690 isn’t going to natively fit into the 893 plunge base.  

I believe it can be made to work with a grinder though.   YMMV.

It’s a bit under powered for larger tenons, especially in end grain.   I’m surprised Spokane PT didn’t have a good selection of routers.  Lowe’s and the Depot usually have plunge/fixed base kits on the shelves too.

I have a plunge base for my PC-690 and it works very well.  I bought it from someone here on WoodNet and it must be the original because it fits w/o alteration.  In any case, the plunge action is smooth and the release is easy to manipulate and locks the motor securely with little effort.  

The PC-690 is a single speed motor and that's a handicap if you want to run larger diameter cutters.  You can use a variable speed controller to overcome that deficiency but I think of it more as a good reliable router for bits up to 3/4".  

John
"Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 690 isn’t going to natively fit into the 893 plunge base.  

I believe it can be made to work with a grinder though."

Well, I will just have to deal with it if it doesn't fit. The description said it would fit the 690 base.

The router I have is 690LRVS I am hoping to do 1/2" mortise 1 1/2" deep. I have the Mortise Pal or maybe make a jig to do longer slots.

I did not know Porter Cable was discontinued, That was one reason I jumped on the plunge base. I did not want the same thing happened with the EasySmart guide and Mortise Pal, not being able to get it at a later date.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I think that might work with the 690 motor (turnkey), be sure to let us know when you get it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I own numerous 890 versions, but no 690.  While the bodies are the same diameter, it's my understanding that the indexing pins on the router motors are different.  

That's only the beginning in my opinion though.  The 890 motor has a switch that allows for use in the plunge base that can be operated with your hands on the handles.  For the 690 you're going to have to remove one of your hands to turn it off.  May not sound like a big deal and your work flow may not put a premium on this.  

I suspect that it was the older generations if the current ones work out of the box.  They used to only come in single speed too.
The best plunge routers I own are the DW 621 and the DW 625. I also have the DW 618 with the 6182 plunge base which works very well. I also have the PC 890 & 690 with the PC plunge base. However, I rarely use the PC plunge base as much. For small plunge jobs I have the DW 611 compact router and the DNP 612 plunge base as well as the Bosch PR20 Colt with the PR011 plunge base. Both are very good.
I ran the Dewalt 618 for 20 years and liked it well enough until I bought the Festool OF 1400. The 618 plunges smooth and the through-column dust extraction works pretty well. Turret stop sucks, and I found the plunge lock lever to be a little awkward to manipulate. The Festool is definitely not twice the router for twice the money. More like 10% more for twice the money. But man do I love that thing. I still keep the 618 because it handles template work better, though.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!