What bench top jointer with Spiral Cutter to purchase?
I am looking for a bench top jointer 6’’ or 8’’ not sure of what brand but want something of better quality. Anyone have any experience or recommendations with these small units? I have a nice floor model in storage, but a full-size shop is probably not in the future anytime soon, so I am looking for something temporary and then just sell it in a few years. Any help would be appreciated on what are the better brands these days…

Thanks 
Sounds like you might be looking for one of those benchtop combo machines. I have an older 8" that is listed as a bench top but it is full cast iron and I wouldn't want to try lift it.

There are also home builds that look quite promising if you are interested in that sort of thing.
(11-20-2020, 08:19 AM)stav Wrote: Sounds like you might be looking for one of those benchtop combo machines. I have an older 8" that is listed as a bench top but it is full cast iron and I wouldn't want to try lift it.

There are also home builds that look quite promising if you are interested in that sort of thing.

I have an old 12'' portable planner that I can use for temp. as my floor model is in storage as well. So I just need a small jointer. And as far as building not my cup of tea but thanks for the ideas as if I can find other solutions that I did not think of that would be great. Plus I need 110 power as my panel is maxed so no new large circuits
(11-20-2020, 11:14 AM)fall Wrote: I have an old 12'' portable planner that I can use for temp. as my floor model is in storage as well. So I just need a small jointer. And as far as building not my cup of tea but thanks for the ideas as if I can find other solutions that I did not think of that would be great.

I have the Porter Cable 6" with straight knives.

I'm happy with it, but the tables are too short.

OTOH, it looks like it would be fairly simple affair to replace the tables with ones made of BB plywood laminated with some high pressure Formica-type stuff.

I've been thinking of getting one of the 8" spiral jobbers and swapping the tables w/ plywood, but have a lot of projects going on already.
You could also make extensions for the existing tables.  My jointer is a short bed and that is on my list of to dos.
(11-20-2020, 12:59 PM)stav Wrote: You could also make extensions for the existing tables.  My jointer is a short bed and that is on my list of to dos.

I just figured it might actually be easier to make replacements, given the way the thing is assembled.
Quote:I am looking for a bench top jointer 6’’ or 8’’ not sure of what brand but want something of better quality.

There just aren't that many levels of quality in benchtop units. Most are made by one or two asian factories and come in lots of different flavors.

The benchtop "combo" units don't get very good reviews except for INCA - which is long since outta business. Those are good tools if you can find one.

I'd say just pick one and get to work. If it's a rental you don't have to love it.
Take up looking at woodworking on your phone bro. You are killing me - 110 and bench jointer??!! You??!!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(11-20-2020, 07:29 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Take up looking at woodworking on your phone bro. You are killing me - 110 and bench jointer??!! You??!!

oh................that's helpful.  
No
(11-20-2020, 07:29 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Take up looking at woodworking on your phone bro. You are killing me - 110 and bench jointer??!! You??!!

Have no fear Mike I’ve got all my big tools stacked up like cord wood in part of my garage, as this is just a temporary thing so I can do a little bit of working this winter, between the coronavirus and the dams breaking in our area I haven’t been able to secure a new location for my shop, but a small jointer will help me out for playing in my small basement shop that I currently have set up. It will temporarily get me by through the winter….. I haven’t lost my mind 
Smile