Handsaw decisions
Did a search, but did not find an answer to this question.  I'm wondering which handsaws I should keep in my till?  Speaking really of the larger handsaws and panel saws, not joinery saws.  I'll list out what I have already for joinery to check for gaps.

2 DT saws
Crosscut tenon
rip tenon
Gents saw
2 Backsaws
Coping saw

For larger saws, I have a bunch to choose from, but am trying to figure out which ones are superfluous.  My needs, as I see them are for a crosscut saw for rough cutting to length, rather than bringing out my tailed sidewinder.  Possibly a crosscut saw with smaller teeth.  A rip saw for some light ripping, normally if I have a single piece, or only need a short bit ripped, it is easier to pull out a hand saw than the TS. 

To this end how does this sound:

Rough rip - 5-6 TPI
Rough xcut  -7/8 tpi
finer xcut - 10/11 tpi

The till has room for 6 of these saws, and there is a pile of restoration candidates.  Would rather not create effective duplicates - as example, is there any real reason to have a different saw(s) for softwoods vs. hardwoods?   What should the array of 6 saws look like?
The answer depends on what your likely usage and goals are. And it helps to know what other tools you have and like to use.

Now that I think of it, I should be the right person to ask, but maybe I’m not. I don’t own a table saw and have never used one. So let me try from there: if you don’t want to use your table saw, you will need a long coarse rip saw. I use mine so much, it’s a “bench” tool and never gets put away. The other saws that are essentially bench saws for me are a 20” 10-12tpi x-cut and a 12 or 14” back saw 12-14tpi x-cut. The tenon saws, dovetails, fine rip all stay in the toolbox for safe keeping. I personally don’t find the need for a long coarse rip saw on a daily basis.

My guess is, if you do general carpentry or even finish carpentry, or have and use and like your TS, track saw band saw whatever, then you can skip the coarse rip and x-cut. But I would never give up a fine toothed x-cut panel and back saw.
My handsaws are valuable when they are sharp, new in the case of wasteful throwaway pull saws. I don't know if a new shoulder will improve stamina, but sharp has always been the mantra in order to get through the exercise quickly and least painfully.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(11-20-2020, 11:12 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: ...
I personally don’t find the need for a long coarse rip saw on a daily basis.

Adam, did you mean long coarse X-CUT, perhaps ?
(otherwise - apologies if my understanding is lacking).

I like the selection of coarse rip, finer x-cut and backsaw.
However instead of long x-cut I tend to use 10in pull x-cut saw and never really missed push saw for that.

Cheers.
(11-20-2020, 08:04 PM)omark Wrote: Adam, did you mean long coarse X-CUT, perhaps ?
(otherwise - apologies if my understanding is lacking).

I like the selection of coarse rip, finer x-cut and backsaw.
However instead of long x-cut I tend to use 10in pull x-cut saw and never really missed push saw for that.

Cheers.

YES! DOOP!

Thanks for the catch.