Blanket Chest, Night Table, Armoire
(11-22-2020, 12:56 PM)John Fry Wrote: Great work on all three pieces Bill. I really like the Armoire, it's my favorite!

Bubinga is beautiful and you selected a great finishing method that did not alter the awesome color of the wood.

Well done!

Thanks very much. 
I figure with the cost of wood it makes sense to buy something you like au naturel. 
Smile

---
See ya later,
Bill
(11-20-2020, 07:56 PM)Bill_de Wrote: If it works, this is a Bubinga chest I finished yesterday, as well as a couple completed this year.

---

Very nice work. I'm glad you let the beauty of the wood shine through. I used bubinga to build my daughters' crib and I've loved it ever since. Wonderful pieces.

Did you have a hard time sourcing it? It seems like the supply has dried up around here or has gotten markedly more expensive.
May I ash how the Bubinga was to work?

RonL
(11-22-2020, 07:32 PM)FS7 Wrote: Very nice work. I'm glad you let the beauty of the wood shine through. I used bubinga to build my daughters' crib and I've loved it ever since. Wonderful pieces.

Did you have a hard time sourcing it? It seems like the supply has dried up around here or has gotten markedly more expensive.

I bought 100bf quite a while ago (2012) from Woodworkers Source. The order was 70bf of 4/4 and 30bf of 8/4. Bottom line shipped was $1180.42. I think today it would be over two grand.

Results for bubinga (woodworkerssource.com)

Thanks for commenting.

--
See ya later,
Bill
(11-22-2020, 07:37 PM)RonL Wrote: May I ash how the Bubinga was to work?

RonL

Works well with sharp tools. I had to rotate the cutters on the jointer and change the blades in the planer. Both were working oak with no issues. But, the surface was beautiful even before sanding.
See ya later,
Bill
(11-22-2020, 08:05 PM)Bill_de Wrote: I bought 100bf quite a while ago (2012) from Woodworkers Source. The order was 70bf of 4/4 and 30bf of 8/4. Bottom line shipped was $1180.42. I think today it would be over two grand.

Results for bubinga (woodworkerssource.com)

Thanks for commenting.

--

Much cheaper than now. Less than half of current prices, probably even more.

I inherited about 50 board feet back in 2016 before my oldest was born and worked it then. At one point I had purchased a fair amount from one of my local suppliers for about $5 (!!!) a board foot, and I'm working through that. But I like to keep plenty on hand and my current best option is around $15 a board foot. They have great prices too and it's a far cry from what you paid.

I guess it's worth noting that the woods you love to use may someday become considerably more expensive or harder to find. Enjoy them while you can.
(11-22-2020, 09:42 PM)FS7 Wrote: Much cheaper than now. Less than half of current prices, probably even more.

Might be a good idea to pick up a few of these. 
Wink

Hearne Hardwoods Store – Exotic and Domestic Lumber and Live-Edged Slabs

---
See ya later,
Bill
Beautiful work for sure. Someone else commented on the armoire, it’s my favorite also. Nice job, thanks for sharing!
Luke

Very nice work: beautiful grain patterns. Heirloom quality for sure!
(11-25-2020, 04:30 PM)hardinluke Wrote: Beautiful work for sure. Someone else commented on the armoire, it’s my favorite also. Nice job, thanks for sharing!

I appreciate the kind words Luke. Thanks.
See ya later,
Bill