shop vac advice
Lonnie - The Ridgid is loud like a plane taking off. But it sucks strong. I built a plywood case to enclose it. I lined the case with sound absorbent material.

Simon
I was unaware that Shop Vac had folded until i read this post. That's a shame.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I remember the initial story about Shop Vac. I didn't think the entire company closed.

Something sucked the air out of Shop Vac Corp., and 437 Pa. employees and a storied firm are out of luck (inquirer.com)
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
The black friday sales use to have $20 shop vacs by Rigid and Shop Vac both of which i bought. The shop vac had a smaller diameter hose that clogged more easily, it also didn't last.
The Rigid is still going strong. Black Friday prices on Ridgid have been going up every year. Shop vac brand is still being sold, probably made overseas.

I would go with the ridgid for $60. the hose is usabale, but there are alot of options to pimp out the vac to make it easier to use, maintain, and increase longevity.

A clean stream filter is expensive at about $35, very easy to clean and may last the life of the vacuum.

A good hose (orange colored) from home depot is about another $35 same type of hose available from amazon for about the same cost brand name Mr. Nozzle.
If you need a smaller diameter more flexible hose the bosch (vac005) works really well connected to tools.

A seperator reduces the frequency that you need to clean the filter. The receptacle is usually easier to empty. It aLso allows the use of a larger receptacle. Cost ranges from almost nothing to make a thein baffle to $50+ for a dust deputy.
My .02
Karl

(11-22-2020, 12:20 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: The black friday sales use to have $20 shop vacs by Rigid and Shop Vac both of which i bought.  The shop vac had a smaller diameter hose that clogged more easily, it also didn't last.
The Rigid is still going strong. Black Friday prices on Ridgid have been going up every year. Shop vac brand is still being sold, probably made overseas.

I would go with the ridgid for $60. the hose is usabale, but there are alot of options to pimp out the vac to make it easier to use, maintain, and increase longevity.

A clean stream filter is expensive at about $35, very easy to clean and may last the life of the vacuum.

A good hose (orange colored) from home depot is about another $35 same type of hose available from amazon for about the same cost brand name Mr. Nozzle.
If you need a smaller diameter more flexible hose the bosch (vac005) works really well connected to tools.  

A seperator reduces the frequency that you need to clean the filter.  The receptacle is usually easier to empty. It aLso allows the use of a larger receptacle.  Cost ranges from almost nothing to make a thein baffle to $50+ for a dust deputy.

I've NEVER cleaned the filter in my Ridgid vac that lives in the shop, beyond casually knocking the loose stuff out on the floor when I empty the tub.  I don't understand WHY it doesn't blow crap everywhere... but it doesn't, never has.
www.dustopper.com

Just need a shop vac and a 5 gallon bucket.
Dave

I got the Ridgid Black Friday special last year.  It was 40-ish dollars but it has the smaller hose.  I got it to replace a dead Ridgid that I got on Black Friday 15 or so years ago that had the larger hose. I was hoping to use the old attachments on the new vac. I guess I'll have to hold on to them for a while and see how long this one lasts.
I have a five year old 16 gal C-Man. Worked fine until the power switch failed. Craftsman doesn't sell replacement parts for the vac....but they would sell me new head for $180 (only paid about $120 for it new). Found a switch on Amazon that worked fine.
I have several - on hooked up to RT, BS, MS, and one free standing.  I got all at garage sales and all are craftsman except one - Rigid which I bought new.  They all work well.  The Rigid I put a cyclone on and pt them on a platform I can move around the shop.  Since not much goes into the Rigid it has done well of close to 20 years.  It replaced a larger Craftsman that lasted 20 years. 

My experience is that they all work well and are noisy. 

I think I got the Rigid on a Black Friday type sale - HD is always having some deal up front.  If it fails I will buy another Rigid.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I don't know why folks say the Rigid units are noisy.  I've found mine, and the one before that, to be rather quiet.  At least, compared to the Genie unit I finally threw out.  I even put a muffler on it, and it was still loud like a jet engine, with a similar high frequency component.  Crazy loud.  Couldn't stand it and threw it out loud.  
Dead
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"