Ghost In The Shop
(11-23-2020, 09:42 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Note to self...shut saw off when changing blades...
Thank you for that PSA. I have always just relied on the switch...

That's one of several reasons I put all my receptacles at mid-wall height, including the 240V receptacles for larger machines.  The 20A 240V receptacle that's closest to my Unisaw is also the most worn of all of them, from the constant plugging/unplugging, and with no bending to reach it, it's a no-brainer to unplug before doing anything that involves body parts and saw blades.  

And I crank the blade down after every operation that doesn't involve multiple cuts at the same setting.  The blade lives below the table and only comes out to do something useful, then like a groundhog seeing its shadow, it's back down into its hidey hole.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(11-23-2020, 09:52 AM)TDKPE Wrote: And I crank the blade down after every operation that doesn't involve multiple cuts at the same setting.  The blade lives below the table and only comes out to do something useful, then like a groundhog seeing its shadow, it's back down into its hidey hole.

This is something I always do, as well as locking the miter saw in the closed position...
Safety precautions are always the best strategy, period.

Mag starters are always the safest types of starters. The electromagnet coil must be energized before it can slam the contacts together.  A failed electromagnet coil will simply not work.

Some manual switches are better than others.
There can be two problems.  On some cheaper switches, there's a rocker spring. That spring can fail or other parts of the mechanism can fail letting the contacts close.  Sometimes these rocker switches don't get pushed all the way off and can spring back internally.  This spring & rocker mechanism can be under the toggle type switches or can be under a switch that has separate start/stop buttons.  Often these manual switches aren't much better internally than a household light switch.