Looking for chisels for my son
My son, after showing no interest whatsoever in the past, has decided he likes woodworking and wants a set of chisels for Christmas.

What's the latest recommendation on a good quality set of hands chisels?

Thanks,
chris
Bench chisels, or carving (gouges)?
Robcosman.com has a set of 4 Woodriver for $147.50. He doesn't sell junk.
https://robcosman.com/a/bundles/woodrive...bundle-pi6
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(11-23-2020, 09:34 AM)jppierson Wrote: Bench chisels, or carving (gouges)?  
Robcosman.com has a set of 4 Woodriver for $147.50.  He doesn't sell junk.
https://robcosman.com/a/bundles/woodrive...bundle-pi6

Sorry, bench chisels. He has asked for the Narex, which look like a nice option, but wanted to see what folks were recommending nowadays.

I've bought all my chisels used from TS&S, so I have little frame of reference.

thanks,
chris
I started out with a set of blue handle Irwin Marples.  I still use them a lot.  The are what I would consider a "firmer" chisel - great for mortises, and paring.  I've done many dovetails with them, too.  But -- they took a hell of a lot of work to get the backs flat.

My main "joinery" set are Narex.  Probably the best value for the money out there IMO. That said, they also required quite a bit of work to flatten the backs.  After using them several years, I'm not overly impressed with edge retention. Not an issue if you don't let them get too dull before re-honing. I think they are an excellent starter set for anyone.

Note: Narex has 2 lines you can tell by the handles.  The "premium" line has no ferrule at the top of the handle and has lower side bevel heights, making it a better chisel for dovetails.

Sharpening goes hand in hand with any edge tool.  If he doesn't have a sharpening system yet, that is a whole 'nother set of rabbit holes to run down.  Personally, I've never done anything but freehand sharpening, using both diamond and water stones.  But with the flattening he will need to prep the chisels, I think a WorkSharp is a very good way to start.

Of course, you can always spend for one chisel what a whole set costs, and go Lie Nielsen and avoid the prep work :-)
(11-22-2020, 08:08 PM)doobes Wrote: My son, after showing no interest whatsoever in the past, has decided he likes woodworking and wants a set of chisels for Christmas.

Thanks,

What is the plan for sharpening?

I started with irwin chisels from home depot (I thought I was getting the marples, but these were more of a carpenter's chisel).  They were a bit butt-heavy and the steel was not super hard, but at least sharpening wasn't too bad.  And they saw me through my first few projects, and now they are my carpentry chisels.

The best thing you can do for a gift is get them tuned up sharp before presenting them, and make sure he has a way to return them to sharp himself.

Matt
(11-23-2020, 10:43 AM)mdhills Wrote: What is the plan for sharpening?

I started with irwin chisels from home depot (I thought I was getting the marples, but these were more of a carpenter's chisel).  They were a bit butt-heavy and the steel was not super hard, but at least sharpening wasn't too bad.  And they saw me through my first few projects, and now they are my carpentry chisels.

The best thing you can do for a gift is get them tuned up sharp before presenting them, and make sure he has a way to return them to sharp himself.

Matt

I'm in the process of downsizing the shop and am assembling a "gift" box full of other tools and a set of King Water stones I bought years ago.

At this juncture, I'm leaning heavily in this direction:

[Image: 91ej6u7GWZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]

Thanks
chris
(11-22-2020, 08:08 PM)doobes Wrote: My son, after showing no interest whatsoever in the past, has decided he likes woodworking and wants a set of chisels for Christmas.

Thanks,

They are going to tar and feather me for this:

I recently bought my sons chisels for Christmas. I personally don't like the concept of a "starter" chisel, "starter" tools, "starter" homes etc, but I begrudgingly accept their necessity. Since my guys are doing (or not doing) carpentry, I bought them second hand Stanley #60 butt chisels with the clear yellow handles. Some I found on eBay in large sets, and some in antique shops. I paid less than $5/each for them.

Here's what I learned:
Steel quality is of almost no consequence for beginner chisels. Soft steels requires more frequent sharpening, which helps beginners. Beginners also will damage any blade. More importantly, having the experience of damaging a chisel is as necessary as the experience of fixing it is. So I sharpened exactly one chisel in each of their sets so they would know what I felt sharp was.

I bought a few for myself as well because I was curious. Dating the Stanley #60 is not easy. If I had to guess, the chisels I bought were older- maybe 50yrs old. I have some that are older, pre- WW2 era? Black handles. The steel in all of them is very good. I am a chisel connoisseur. These are acceptable to me. I don't love the shape, don't love the butt chisel design and the handles are not in any way amazing, except in their indestructibility. But I think they are nearly perfect for general carpentry and excellent for beginners. And they are "classic" US hand tools in the same way a Disston saw, Estwing Hammer, or a chrome Stanley tape measure, and #4 plane is. I think the butt chisel might be easier for a beginner to learn on, rather than a full length firmer.

Lee Valley offers new, possibly superior versions of these chisels at typically reasonable LV prices if you don't want to go the used route.

I am a strong believer that size is a very important attribute in a chisel. I think "basic sets" don't offer nearly enough sizes for me as a cabinetmaker. That said, for basic projects, my guys would probably do fine with a 1/2" and a 1". I'm attracted to the sizes wider than 1", but to be honest, I've not found them to be very useful. I use a very old Pexto 2" socket chisel with great regularity. It has a very thin blade and I pare with it mostly. Butt chisels just don't cut it for that sort of work. So my advice would be to, depending on the projects, starting with the a 1" and a few smaller sizes.

With these chisels, I also bought some new DMT diamond plates and 2 of those magnetic plastic "stone" holders. LOVE THEM. Only downside is, I haven't bought the super extra super dooper fine plate. What I have isn't quite fine enough to finish a tool with. I liked these because if the boys drop them, they just won't break. And I'm not attached to them like I am my Arkansas stones.

They also have their own hammers and dead blows. I really urge them to use dead blows with their chisels, even tho the S#60's were designed to survive being hit with a hammer. I think the wood responds better to the dead blow. My preference is the slimline head versions. I have a trusty cook and an old Stanley compocast. I think I like the old Stanley better. Snap On have the nicest handles of any I've ever used. Just a shout out: if you are making your Dad Christmas list, I'd put one of those 20+oz Snap On slim line dead blow hammers on the list. PM me if you need a part number.
(11-23-2020, 01:03 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: They are going to tar and feather me for this:

I recently bought my sons chisels for Christmas. I personally don't like the concept of a "starter" chisel, "starter" tools, "starter" homes etc, but I begrudgingly accept their necessity. Since my guys are doing (or not doing) carpentry, I bought them second hand Stanley #60 butt chisels with the clear yellow handles.  Some I found on eBay in large sets, and some in antique shops.  I paid less than $5/each for them. 

I agree with this.  I grew up using the Stanley 60s and really like them.  I also happen to like shorter chisels, just easier to handle, I guess, at least for me.  They take a good pounding, and you know that’s what a beginner will do to them.
The Lee Valley chisels really can't be beat for a beginner; set of 5 for $75 and free shipping, $15 each, and they have a nice length.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=44S0120
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Really?
Bueller???

No Aldi's recommendations? <grin>