DC Motor Upgrade? Yay or Nay?
Yep. Go big or go home. Big impellers work. Mine does.
Mine gets blowed outside. I didn't want to deal with emptying bags/cans 1-2-3 times a day.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

So the thirty year old motor started making a terrible racket yesterday.  Pulled the fan cover off and spun the motor.  I hear no crunchy noises that often accompanies bad bearings, but there is a squeal.  I wonder if this is the brake mechanism.  I hope so; I can likely fix that easily.  Pulling the bearings would be a bear on this thing since it's already up. My RAS recently had the same problem: I thought a bearing was bad. Instead, a drop of light oil on the brake mechanism silenced it.

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/tjZNm81ZLnk
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-27-2021, 10:36 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: So the thirty year old motor started making a terrible racket yesterday.  Pulled the fan cover off and spun the motor.  I hear no crunchy noises that often accompanies bad bearings, but there is a squeal.  I wonder if this is the brake mechanism.  I hope so; I can likely fix that easily.  Pulling the bearings would be a bear on this thing since it's already up.  My RAS recently had the same problem:  I thought a bearing was bad.  Instead, a drop of light oil on the brake mechanism silenced it.

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/tjZNm81ZLnk

That's the centrifugal switch mechanism making that noise, from what I can tell way over here.  

Wrap your fingers around the fan in there (or pop the fan off) and pull back the two weights against the springs and see if the noise goes away.  If so, no worries.  If it really bothers you, you can put some dry lube on the stationary ring they contact to quiet that squeaking.

If that's the cause, you can rest assured that it doesn't squeak when it's up to speed, as those fly weights are out and the mechanism that engages the start capacitor switch has pulled back and is not contacting the switch ring.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The noise occurs while it's running, too, but it's not the squeal you hear at low speed. I need to finish a batch of triangles I'm building (no milling required at this stage) before I start on this. It'll be a few days, but I'll get back with it.

(edit)

I sure hope it's the switch. I'm tired of all these setbacks and really need to get my shop to be productive again!
Semper fi,
Brad

Blow the dust and chunks out of that cen switch while yer in there.....put a little white grease in there....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I fear it is a bad bearing.  I pulled the switch off and the squeal went away but there another gawdawful racket coming from this same end, I think.

I gotta figure out whether I can change that bearing with the motor still in place; I really don't want to take this thing apart.

https://youtu.be/biUesPV4OFk
Semper fi,
Brad

Trust me when I say this: it will be far easier to disassemble the unit and then fix the motor than trying to do it in place.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yeah, I know. I'm just in denial right now and REALLY don't want to tear it apart. I had hoped that the delays with this system were done!
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-28-2021, 10:34 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I fear it is a bad bearing.  I pulled the switch off and the squeal went away but there another gawdawful racket coming from this same end, I think.

I gotta figure out whether I can change that bearing with the motor still in place; I really don't want to take this thing apart.

https://youtu.be/biUesPV4OFk

At this point, I don’t see where you have much choice.  Something is amiss in there, and the only way to get to the bottom of it is to pull it apart.  

Sorry.  But it’ll be like a new motor when you’re done, and will last for years if you buy good quality bearings.  I wouldn’t waste my money on cheap Chinese bearings, as the time and effort involved to replace them down the road is substantial.  Motor bearings are small, so good quality bearings won’t actually cost that much anyway.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
So now I have to figure out a path forward. It appears to me that this was not built with the intention of repairs further down the road; I can see no way to attach a puller to remove the impeller.

So, I'm thinking that I lay the blower on its side, motor side down.

Block it up on 2x4's so that the shaft is a couple inches of the floor. Put some foam under the shaft. Remove the four bolts that secure the motor to the blower frame.

From the impeller side, gently rap on the shaft (with a wood dowel to soften the blows) to drive the entire motor down, hopefully sliding the shaft out of the impeller.

From there I can then open the motor and replace the bearings.

Thoughts/warnings before I mess something up?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad