Interesting Lee Valley Christmas idea
Just got yet another of the ubiquitous Lee Valley Christmas gift emails, and saw this under the "Gifts under $50" heading:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=15Z0205

Looks interesting.  Anybody use these?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
(11-24-2020, 10:48 AM)dow Wrote: Just got yet another of the ubiquitous Lee Valley Christmas gift emails, and saw this under the "Gifts under $50" heading:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=15Z0205

Looks interesting.  Anybody use these?

For people who use sandpaper as a shaping tool, I suppose it makes sense. For those of us who prefer spokeshaves, rasps, files, and card scrapers to shape curves, a small piece of sandpaper and your fingers is all that's needed for the final, light smoothing. Different strokes, I guess.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I wonder if one wrapped an old rag around them they could be used to buff shoes. Pretty limited in function.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
While I respect and admire LV's designs in general, I'm wondering how this is better than grabbing a strip of sandpaper, one end in each hand, and doing the same thing.
(11-24-2020, 11:53 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: While I respect and admire LV's designs in general, I'm wondering how this is better than grabbing a strip of sandpaper, one end in each hand, and doing the same thing.

It does have the advantage that it stops one from wrapping the strip of sandpaper around your finger.

It also would help if one is starting to have problems gripping thin things (like sandpaper or abranet strips) with your fingers. I do notice that my hands want to cramp up if I spend too many hours sanding with strips at the lathe. Taking more breaks seems like a cheaper solution, though.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.