Small Stool
Video 
Hi All. Hope you're staying safe wherever you are in the world. Though I know that task is getting harder in some corners of the world at the moment.

I recently finished a small stool made to accompany a dressing table I made about a year ago. It's mostly hand tool work from rough sawn Tasmanian Oak. Stock prepared by hand, joinery work by hand. Router employed for doing the edge chamfers and roughly forming the bum curve in the seat using a curved sled. The roughly formed bum curve was then smoothed with a card scraper which was way more effective that I had anticipated. I hardly had to touch it with sandpaper in the end. The seat floats above the legs about 20mm, or 0.7874 inches
Wink

I started this one during our covid isolation (around April/May) then work life got very hectic after isolation and quite a few weekend shop sessions were lost, but finally I got it done and put into service weekend just gone.

What I learned from this build was that there's as much work in a stool as there is a dining table. So if given the choice definitely choose the dining table. But if you need a stool and not a dining table, then you just have to grin and bear it.

Nice work.  Surprised to hear that there is more work in a stool than a dining table, the last dining table I built took a long time, though a lot of it was deciding how to have the leaves store in the table.
Wow!   That will be good for generations to come!

Thanks for showing!
Chris
Excellent: wedged through tenons really add a nice touch.
(11-25-2020, 01:12 AM)AlistairD Wrote: Hi All. Hope you're staying safe wherever you are in the world. Though I know that task is getting harder in some corners of the world at the moment.

I recently finished a small stool made to accompany a dressing table I made about a year ago. It's mostly hand tool work from rough sawn Tasmanian Oak. Stock prepared by hand, joinery work by hand. Router employed for doing the edge chamfers and roughly forming the bum curve in the seat using a curved sled. The roughly formed bum curve was then smoothed with a card scraper which was way more effective that I had anticipated. I hardly had to touch it with sandpaper in the end. The seat floats above the legs about 20mm, or 0.7874 inches
Wink

I started this one during our covid isolation (around April/May) then work life got very hectic after isolation and quite a few weekend shop sessions were lost, but finally I got it done and put into service weekend just gone.

What I learned from this build was that there's as much work in a stool as there is a dining table. So if given the choice definitely choose the dining table. But if you need a stool and not a dining table, then you just have to grin and bear it.

Looks like a very comfortable stool
Nice clean lines and a well shaped seat. I like it!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(11-25-2020, 01:12 AM)AlistairD Wrote: Hi All. Hope you're staying safe wherever you are in the world. Though I know that task is getting harder in some corners of the world at the moment.

Wink

Nice done! Love the wedged through tenons.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
barryvabeach, cheers! oh yeah i could imagine an extending table would add a little complexity to the task
Smile

C. in Indy, thanks! It's a nice feeling to think I can make something that will outlast me.

Philip1231, agree. I love the look and the strength. I have the compulsion to put them everywhere I can.

Woodworm! yes function won out over form. I originally intended to keep the edges of the seat squarer but it wasn't as comfortable.

cputnam, thanks! i had planned to prototype it in pine to see if i liked the proportions but in the end after drawing it out at 1:1 scale I just jumped in to the final build and feel like it worked out ok.

Aram. cheers! not the quickest joinery method but every time i assemble a wedged through tenon its such a feeling of accomplishment
Smile