Working on a Valet box
Hopefully it will turn out well.   This will be for a planned 2021 (formerly 2020) wedding couple:

Chris
It was a rare day of very good luck...

I found some back slat pieces in my hoard that were exactly the right length, no cross-cutting required
Smile

I did a bit of re-proportioning on the shelf-tongue, and chose a different inlay.  Now it's wetted for color assessment:

Happy Woodworking!
Chris
Chris
It's done.   The wood is a little busy-looking so it will probably look better in use if stuffed with envelopes and recipes.    This is that rift-sawn tricky oak that was the starter of a different thread, plus some coffeetree scraps on the back.   Finish is a combination of hard wax and shellac.

Thanks for watching....

Chris
Chris
Really looks nice.

BTW that is an interesting table under the valet.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks, Bill!

On that table, which is my 'home office' desk, it was a project I did about 14 years back.  I think I was enjoying the 'pickled' or 'color stained' oak tables seen at Borders bookstores in those days.   I went for some reddish coloring, and messed part of it enough to add a sort of pizza-hut-logo overcoating pattern to the top.   Anyway, I also threw in a rotating drawer along with a usual drawer....

Chris
Chris
It seemed like the gift needed a bit more to it.
I had another piece of very gnarly oak which I finally got planed to my satisfaction, having avoiding the problems for years.

I'm working on a little box; it's laid out basically and just needs fine-tuning now.

Chris
Here is the small valet to the valet...

It was basically a one-board box from very figured oak, but the bottom needed to be something really low-profile without a lot of work.  I stole some of bandit's spare cedar 
Smile :

Then it all was together for a bit of finish:

Thanks for watching

Chris
Chris
Beautiful figure, but from here, it sure looks more like walnut.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(12-29-2020, 08:32 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Beautiful figure, but from here, it sure looks more like walnut.

Hi Bill,
    Understandable sentiment!  From the odor and the hardness, I have no doubt it's in the (white / live / post ?) oak family.  I did use some red-toned oil on it when finishing.

Today I de-glazed the shellac a bit, so it's not quite so garish looking.

I remember one of the Roy Underhill episodes, where Mr. Follansbee explained, "red oak is white, and white oak is brown"
Smile

Chris
Chris