Fastest Way to cut slots in Composite Decking
Yes I laid the board down and cut the slots
Thanks to all for the help ,  I really appreciate it.  Now I am on to replacing the rotted joists, and other prep work before I install the decking.
Cutting your own grooves is for "small jobs only". 

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/project...ed-decking

Even some types of premium wood decking come grooved from the mill or wholesaler, or they can be grooved at the lumberyard for a nominal fee. If you’re feeling ambitious or have just a small job, you also can slot the deck boards yourself with a router, a biscuit joiner, or a tablesaw.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cutting your own grooves is for "small jobs only". 

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/project...ed-decking

Even some types of premium wood decking come grooved from the mill or wholesaler, or they can be grooved at the lumberyard for a nominal fee. If you’re feeling ambitious or have just a small job, you also can slot the deck boards yourself with a router, a biscuit joiner, or a tablesaw.

I guess if I were doing this and I had a small table saw and a couple of helpers, that I would setup a tall fence and cut the slots on the saw.  I would think this would be done outdoors in nice weather.  Otherwise the 12 to 20 foot lengths become unmanageable.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A handheld router with a slot cutter would be relatively easy. Just build or buy an edge guide. I would not try to feed 10' boards through a router table by myself.

I have used the Kreg deck jig for the last 2 Trex decks I have installed. Easy to use just see a small hole just below the top edge of the decking. I am going to do a friends deck neat summer and will do the same system.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(11-30-2020, 04:26 PM)crokett™ Wrote: A handheld router with a slot cutter would be relatively easy.   Just build or buy an edge guide.  I would not try to feed 10' boards through a router table by myself.

It's not like you need a slot the length of the board just where it is fastened to the joist. A cheap Harbor freight is fine for that
(11-30-2020, 06:03 PM)fixtureman Wrote: It's not like you need a slot the length of the board just where it is fastened to the joist.  A cheap Harbor freight is fine for that

Oh yeah. good point.   So there's 2 methods... I would probably slot the entire board with a router, because I would batch a bunch (or all) of them, then it didn't matter where it landed on the joists.  However, something like a biscuit joiner has the advantage of being easier to use, but you'd have to know where you were cutting the slots.  I don't know if it's faster to run a router down the length of the board, or to repeat several plunges with a biscuit joiner.

Thanks for the suggestions.   My approach was a little different because I was removing, and reinstalling boards.

I pried the boards off the deck and then stacked them nearby.  Since I had to replace part of the framing, I had a number of pieces of 2 x 8 stock.   I stacked the PT stock in a stadium seating configuration on some sawhorses.  One board nearest me, then two behind that, then three behind that.   Then I put one of the deck boards onto of each stack so I could work on three deck boards at a time.

I would first remove the existing fasteners that were in each board with a hammer ( they were driven through one side of each board at the joist - like a flooring nail )-  then when all fasteners were out, I came back with a biscuit joiner and routed slots-  at each location where there was a hole from having a fastener removed, then flipped the board around and did the other side.  For the 12 foot boards it went pretty quick, around 5 minutes per set of 3, for cleaning the board so the joiner would sit flush, and cutting all the slots.

I then reinstalled them using the Camos Edge system clips -  I can speak highly enough of that system, very well thought out.
Biscuit jointer - that's what it was made for - cutting slots.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.