Slow speed grinder
(11-26-2020, 07:02 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Although CBN wheels had been around for a long time when I first came across them, and familiar to many turners, at that stage no one seemed to use them for flat woodworking. This was about 6 or 7 years ago. I wrote about this here ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...SetUp.html

My CBN system (using half-speed grinder and Tormek guides) replaced a Tormek, which was subsequently sold.

In contrast to Adam, I view the Tormek as a grinder, but a poor system for the experienced user. Great for a beginner. The CBN makes it outdated.

The ideal system now would be a 180 grit CBN wheel on a 8” half-speed grinder, with a half-stitched white mop on the other side (for the Unicorn profile).

Regards from Perth

Derek

They now sell CBN wheels sized for the Tormek machine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-27-2020, 11:54 AM)Admiral Wrote: They now sell CBN wheels sized for the Tormek machine.

That is just so silly. The reason for the Tormek was to avoid burning a blade. And so they made it run slow and wet. CBN becomes popular for bench grinders, and Tormek attempt to counter the challenge by introducing diamond wheels. Now you do not need the water to cool the steel. But they still cut soooo sloooow. CBN is offered as an alternative to diamond. That does not improve matters.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com