Psychological help needed
(11-26-2020, 10:48 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: With all of the other things going on in my life I hardly get to do anything I WANT to do in the shop. It's always something for someone else. 

FWIW, I used to do small to medium projects for DW's sister when we came up here to visit, mostly because I was bored.  Still did a lot once we moved here.  And mostly while her (now ex-) hubby napped on the couch while I did all the work, but that's another issue.

One day she was talking about buying a ceiling fan, and announced out loud, and I quote: "I'll have Tom put it in."

In that instant, I copped an attitude and haven't done anything for her since other than a little phone consultation or a quick look at something with either an instant fix (like resetting a circuit breaker in the generator panel I installed for her
Upset ) or advice on who to call to do whatever fix is needed.    

As much as I like helping people, it was just getting out of control.  DW figures that since she married me, she should be getting the benefit in return for putting up with me, and not her sister who likes skimming the cream.  In a manner of speaking. 

So now I do things only for our house, or for myself, which includes doing nothing sometimes.  Or sailing.  Alone, often.  And life is better.  And it's good to have that shop there, for when I do get in the mood, but on my own terms mostly.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I added a cd player to my climate controlled shop, and there are times I just go out and put in some favorite music and enjoy the peace.  While the music plays, I sort hardware, organize shelves, clean tools... If there are no projects.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
from the delta gram

Thou things look mighty blue
I have a hobby now!
My darkest hours are  thru!

Business routine may worry
And trouble me all day
But an evening in my workshop
Sends the Heebies on their way!
I have a lot of tools and not enough shop space to hold them. When I moved across country, I ended up in a community where the HOA does not allow storage sheds, and my attic is inaccessible. So, my tools sit in a garage that is my only storage space for lawn and garden tools, Christmas stuff, and whatever else. I haven't used my TS in over 3 years. I do have access to my workbench and most hand tools. My long term dream is to have a dedicated shop in a different building. I can probably do that after I retire. But I also don't want to pay $100 / month for storage of all my large machinery. So, I'll probably sell off the large stuff and buy new or used when I retire.

So, if you really have lost the spark and have other things to keep you busy, don't feel pressured into keeping the stuff.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A shop is hard to setup and harder still to dismantle. 

We all go through periods of life where we have other competing interests and demands put on us. 
But things change and life goes through ebbs and flows.  Unlike a neglected pet or a plant, it only gathers some dust. 
That shop will be waiting for you patiently when you are ready or have time for it. 

Till then hang in there...
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
(11-29-2020, 02:39 PM)AHill Wrote: I ended up in a community where the HOA does not allow storage sheds, and my attic is inaccessible.  

So why did you move into such a community? I think I would've looked for another place to live.
But I'm sure you had your reasons.

Thanks for the popst
Jim
Jim
(11-30-2020, 10:11 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: So why did you move into such a community? I think I would've looked for another place to live.
But I'm sure you had your reasons.

Thanks for the popst
Jim

Because it was the best available property in the best school district in town.  My marriage and my daughter's education is more important than my woodworking hobby.  Orlando property isn't cheap.  My decisions affect more than just me.  My wife and daughter get a vote.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-26-2020, 12:33 PM)MsNomer Wrote: I’d vote that you leave it as long as you dont need the money or space.

I'm with Carolyn.

Heck, sometimes just going out to the shop and pushing the broom around is therapeutic.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
(11-30-2020, 04:04 PM)Patsfan Wrote: Heck, sometimes just going out to the shop and pushing the broom around is therapeutic.

Good for you!

I never use my shop to relax or to reduce stress. other than to use it to build things or complete tasks that I can't do inside the house (too dusty, say). Unromantic...you can say. I also have little to no attachment to any of my tools, but I safeguard and maintain them well so they can do what they're designed for. In other words, if I don't have to be in the shop, I'll stay away from it. May be this detachment would be a blessing one day when i need to move to a smaller place or even have to end the hobby (due to health or age).

Simon
(11-30-2020, 03:04 PM)AHill Wrote: Because it was the best available property in the best school district in town.  My marriage and my daughter's education is more important than my woodworking hobby.  Orlando property isn't cheap.  My decisions affect more than just me.  My wife and daughter get a vote.

Yup, relo is no fun, BTDT three times; lots of compromises and more important choices come into play.  In the past, I've avoided HOAs (especially in the South, for some reason they are more common there but I think that has to do with the lack of zoning ordinances so folks tend to rely on them to prevent someone from starting a pig farm or slaughterhouse business next door) but sometimes it is not possible and you have to grin and bear it.  However, it is possible to try and change the "rules" but it is always an uphill battle.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis