Removing molding plane wedge?
I use a lot of Krenov-style woodies. I am used to loosening the wedge by banging on the back of the plane. This is not working with my molding planes. How do you get the wedges out?

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Strike the heel of the plane square on, then upward on the wedge...

Here, paul sellers can explain better than I.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGDbXjH2aks

I love my moulding planes, used one yesterday.  
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
If you have a few that are really tight,  I turn them upside down and swing the plane down till the top of the plane hits my bench.
Holy smokes don’t do it like Paul. You’ll split your wedge and ruin the plane. And I’ve never heard anyone on either side of the pond confuse hollows and rounds. Where did he get that? The planes are named for the shapes of their soles which is unique. All other molders are named for the shapes they create.

To loosen a wedge hold the plane in your left hand gripping the wedge and body. Hook your left fore finger it the notch in the wedge and hit the plane on the butt. A dead blow hammer works pretty well and doesn’t damage the plane. I use the edge of my turned carvers mallet.

Old planes’ bodies sometime shrink on their wedges. Once you get the wedge out, you may have to scrape it a tiny bit.
(11-26-2020, 02:52 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Holy smokes don’t do it like Paul. You’ll split your wedge and ruin the plane. And I’ve never heard anyone on either side of the pond confuse hollows and rounds. Where did he get that? The planes are named for the shapes of their soles which is unique. All other molders are named for the shapes they create.

To loosen a wedge hold the plane in your left hand gripping the wedge and body. Hook your left fore finger it the notch in the wedge and hit the plane on the butt. A dead blow hammer works pretty well and doesn’t damage the plane. I use the edge of my turned carvers mallet.

Old planes’ bodies sometime shrink on their wedges. Once you get the wedge out, you may have to scrape it a tiny bit.

Wow. I already went out of my way not to hit the wedge directly. Good choice, I guess.

Thanks, Adam, for the recommendations. I will try both.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site