I am such a hack
This pandemic has given me more consistent shop time but I still seem to churn out projects full of fixes. Gappy dovetails wedged tight, that part where the maple just crumbled patched, two turned knobs that are not quite the same, and on and on. I've been at this for over 20 years and am already the slowest woodworker around. I am doing more and more at the bench with hand tools, I enjoy it, and most people fail to notice these fixes, so I will push forward, but dang it, I wish I were good at it.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
You sure we aren't brothers? Oh wait, YOU have a lathe, way above my skill set.
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy....

Winkgrin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Everyone is a hack in some way. That being said, I've never made a project that didn't have a mistake. Others can't see it but I can. I don't know if I'll ever make something that is absolutely perfect in every way. Hey, its a HOBBY!!!!! Enjoy your shop time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-26-2020, 12:34 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: This pandemic has given me more consistent shop time but I still seem to churn out projects full of fixes. Gappy dovetails wedged tight, that part where the maple just crumbled patched, two turned knobs that are not quite the same, and on and on. I've been at this for over 20 years and am already the slowest woodworker around. I am doing more and more at the bench with hand tools, I ENJOY IT, and most people fail to notice these fixes, so I will push forward, but dang it, I wish I were good at it.

And that , in the end, is all that matters.

Otherwise, we would pay someone else to do it for us.

( Fellow Hack )
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Now and then, I could get a "perfect" version if I did it the second time or third. I like to prepare stock enough for three copies of the thing I plan to make, and I usually go ahead to make at least two. Of course, sometimes this approach is impractical such as making two dining tables when I only need one.

Simon
I have shared this before, but...

An old woodworking mentor told me...

"It isn't a mistake unless someone saw you do it, or you determine it can't be fixed.  

No
Until that point it's simply an in progress modification of your original design."

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
He also said,

"A plan is just a guideline for the truly creative mind."

Laugh
Jim in Okie
It's like cooking. Read a few recipes go at it from memory. It's not like you will screw up basil and flour. 

Bruce~
The turkey is in for a 7pm meal. Three hours, or five, it's just temperature.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
At least you're making stuff.

Probably nowhere near as bad as you're saying, either.

I haven't been able to get any shop time.
My gosh TomFromStLouis, I could have written the exact same post.  I have been at it for more than 20. years and still am mediocre at best.  Darn!!