I am such a hack
(11-26-2020, 12:34 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: This pandemic has given me more consistent shop time but I still seem to churn out projects full of fixes. Gappy dovetails wedged tight, that part where the maple just crumbled patched, two turned knobs that are not quite the same, and on and on. I've been at this for over 20 years and am already the slowest woodworker around. I am doing more and more at the bench with hand tools, I enjoy it, and most people fail to notice these fixes, so I will push forward, but dang it, I wish I were good at it.

Some of us have "it" and some of us do not. I wish I were as good as you. I know how to achieve perfection but the doing of it eludes me. I shall endeavor to persevere.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
It's the journey, not the destination that counts - enjoy the trip!

Doug
I have taken heart from the Japanese concept of Kintsugi. 

Kintsugi is the Japanese art of putting broken pottery pieces back together with gold — built on the idea that in embracing flaws and imperfections, you can create an even stronger, more beautiful piece of art.  I don't use gold and I am not making pottery, but I sure do like that embracing flaws and imperfections part. Fixing a dovetail is on the same spectrum as filling a knothole, just on the other side of the craftsmanship line I prefer.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I've been a professional woodworker for over 35 years. I like to think that I'm better than most. I'll never forget the final project of my apprenticeship. I made an Oak desk. My teacher was quick to find the misplaced cut in one of the legs. I put a patch in it, thinking it looked quite good. He just smiled and said good job.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Whenever I start to think I am good, I look at some other people's work and then come back to earth. I would like to think I am better than average, and that is probably ok. It really doesn't make much difference. I don't sell so it stays right here. If you want to make yourself feel good, watch someone who thinks they are good, or see some of their work.

I always try to be positive to another woodworker, and that is hard for me as I like to criticize.
Hmmmm...now you see it..

Sneaky dried glue...and..

Now you don't.....
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that