I don't get it
Ok. I see old antique tools might increase worth. But this? https://www.jimbodetools.com/collections...-saw-95492
I think LN still sells them - for 125 $. Why would anyone pay 179 $ for the same saw in old and rusty? Maybe I should let my saws rust a bit.

Cheers
Pedder
A lot of their stuff is out of stock due to covid-related supply chain and labor issues. Long wait times, apparently. So Jim is capitalizing on scarcity. I'd bet if someone offered him full $125 retail he'd take it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Wasn't it you Admiral who--I should not say these things after my last spanking--said buyers overseas pay more for used Veritas and LN tools due to import costs?

But I agree with Pedder. And, let me know before you put a Two Lawyers out into the weather. I will happily pay half-price, which I understand is the going rate for "used".
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(11-26-2020, 01:43 PM)Pedder Wrote: Ok. I see old antique tools might increase worth. But this? https://www.jimbodetools.com/collections...-saw-95492
I think LN still sells them - for 125 $. Why would anyone pay the low, low price of 179 $ for the same saw in old  of a vintage era and rusty tastefully patinated? Maybe I should let my saws rust a bit.

Cheers
Pedder
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
The prices of Lie Nielsen tools on ebay have gone up, in some cases quite a bit. As Admiral mentioned, supply of new LN items is constrained. I also believe demand is up, as more folks are spending more time at home and spending more $$ to make home more livable during the pandemic.
In a related story, I recently went on a hunt for a Lie Nielsen 140 skew block plane. I won't go into all the details, but I was tracking the prices of these and was involved in a number of purchases and sales. Some of these sales approached 50% over list price! What is more interesting is LN just raised their price on this tool from $225 to $275. Even they are responding to market pressures (cant blame them at all).

[Pedder: if I ever see one of your saws in such appalling condition, I think I will cry. Phil]
(11-26-2020, 06:04 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Wasn't it you Admiral who--I should not say these things after my last spanking--said buyers overseas pay more for used Veritas and LN tools due to import costs?

Yes, on eby, the international buyers face import fees/duties, and maybe value-added tax, not sure about the latter; also the new tools cost more retail, especially in Europe.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis