First time making handles
(11-30-2020, 07:12 AM)AHill Wrote: The wings on the crank shaft are meant to prevent slippage of the handle when in use.  Similar to screwdrivers.  The hole drilled into the handle should be the same size or a hair larger than the shaft.  Then drive the handle onto the shaft.  It shouldn't split if you orient the wings so that they are perpendicular to the grain.  Some epoxy in the hole prior to installation - enough to fill the gap between the crank shaft and the handle.

I would just grind or file the "nubbins" off the shaft and use JBWeld to attach the knob...No way a nicely turned knob will split if this is done..Make the knob with a "blind " hole...and file a small "flat" on the shaft to allow air to escape as the knob is pressed on.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Just a thought.....maybe those "nibs" are to stop a washer from going any farther onto the shaft?    Then a handle can be slid on.   Then a second washer is slid on, and the shaft would be peaned over ( like a rivet) to hold the handle in place, yet allow it to rotate as you spin the "mixer"......just a thought....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I don't if this would work and it is just thought.

Mill your nob with the hole slightly larger than the shaft. Heat or steam the nob long enough that lignin softens then, using pliers, shove the nob on the shaft and spin it to cut a groove with the nubs. After the wood cools the nob should spin but be locked on the shaft, maybe.

Dave
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
The handle has its first application of Tru-Oil. Not perfect, but good enough. This is a utilitarian object, not a real project.

[Image: 4C91D816-9A0F-4048-A678-28F776274D28.jpg]

MrNomer talked me into foregoing the epoxy and just relying on the peened brass rods. I’ve never worked metal before, so it was a learning experience. The handle seems tight, I have no idea whether it will stay that way. I would be concerned about moisture getting in, but this handle never sees water. Certainly never immersed.

I had one small edge crack. It doesn’t seem to catch on anything. I'm so ignorant of what I’ve done that I have no idea what I did wrong.

[Image: D1657A88-400F-4B92-B416-6E12335F6758.jpg]
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
For its' utilitarian use, it looks just fine.

Well done.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Nice work.   For future reference,  brass can be hard to work with in that it can work harden easily, and then it is not as malleable.  Surprisingly, steel is pretty malleable.