walnut writing table
I made a walnut writing table with three drawers probably 12 years ago.  I finished it with several applications of tung oil - I don't remember which supplier - Formby's or Minwax or something.  I was very pleased with how it came out and how it has aged.  Anyway, just looking at it more and more, it seems to be needing some maintenance or something on the finish.  Should I just go over it with tung oil again?  Some other finish?  Scuff sand?  Number of coats?  Any advice would be very much appreciated, as always.  Thx...FPT
(11-28-2020, 11:19 PM)fptahoe Wrote: I made a walnut writing table with three drawers probably 12 years ago.  I finished it with several applications of tung oil - I don't remember which supplier - Formby's or Minwax or something.  I was very pleased with how it came out and how it has aged.  Anyway, just looking at it more and more, it seems to be needing some maintenance or something on the finish.  Should I just go over it with tung oil again?  Some other finish?  Scuff sand?  Number of coats?  Any advice would be very much appreciated, as always.  Thx...FPT

off topic but can you post a pix of your writing table, I'm thinking of making one and looking at ideas.
thanks in advance
I finished a few walnut pieces almost 30 years ago and a few months ago I realized the finish was fading.  I added another coat of tung oil (100% tung oil) and they look great.
If you'd like to kick up the gloss and protection, try some TruOil instead of the Tung. It dries fast and builds a nice film without looking like a thick varnish. Originally developed for gunstocks, now used by many fine woodworkers and instrument makers.
Most things sold as tung oil are really a blend of varnish ,  mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil.  They are easy to recoat, a scuff sand won't hurt, though you might want to first hit it with a rag with mineral spirits to get off any wax or dirt, or grime.  Number of coats depends on how shiny you want it,  just stop when you have the sheen you want.  Remember to dry thoroughly between coats, a day between each is ideal.
Try some Howards Feed n Wax.