Plumbing code question
I have to replace the shutoff valve after the meter. The setup is:
  • Line into the house
  • Shutoff valve
  • Meter
  • Backflow valve
  • Shutoff valve (this is the one that's leaking)
It's an old valve leaking at the stem, but the stem can't be replaced (no nut to remove it), so I have to solder it off and replace it (not a biggie). I have a SharkBite valve rated at 200 psi, can this be used or do I need to replace it with a soldered valve? Not sure what code might stipulate.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Not a plumber, but I had a similar situation. Due to a failed meter valve before the meter, (and wanting to never have to touch another meter valve), I used a threaded SST ball valve after the meter valve, and Pex from there on, after having the local water company shut down my service at the street.
Might be helpful, for those code-knowledgeable, to know your state/municipality...
(11-30-2020, 02:03 PM)brianwelch Wrote: Not a plumber, but I had a similar situation. Do to a failed meter valve before the meter, (and wanting to never have to touch another meter valve), I used a threaded SST ball valve after the meter valve, and Pex from there on, after having the local water company shut down my service at the street.
Might be helpful, for those code-knowledgeable, to know your state/municipality...

Figured the code was national so parts would meet standards. State is Pa. Muni is Plum.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(11-30-2020, 03:31 PM)Scouter Wrote: Figured the code was national so parts would meet standards. State is Pa. Muni is Plum.

State codes cannot be less stringent than the national code but may be more stringent and many are.   Roly
(11-30-2020, 04:05 PM)Roly Wrote: State codes cannot be less stringent than the national code but may be more stringent and many are.   Roly

Not here...at least for residential.  No statewide code.  Local code:  they inspect water heater installation.  That is all.
FIX
(11-30-2020, 07:35 PM)Flat Lander Wrote: FIX

Read my post, that is not the setup I have, there is no nut to release.
Mike

You know, there are times when even the most handiest of us are better off calling someone who does it for a living.
(12-01-2020, 10:12 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: You know, there are times when even the most handiest of us are better off calling someone who does it for a living.

I can do either option, just asking if the easier one meets code. Thus far no one has addressed that.
Mike

(12-01-2020, 10:20 AM)Scouter Wrote: I can do either option, just asking if the easier one meets code. Thus far no one has addressed
 The local authority is the one you need to make happy. Call them.
 As far as state codes it was mentioned his states does not have any.
Ohio
  • Ohio Building Code – 2015 IBC
  • 2019 Ohio Residential Code – 2018 IRC
  • Ohio Plumbing Code – 2015 IPC
  • Ohio Mechanical Code – 2015 IMC
  • 2011 National Electrical Code (NEC) – 2011 NFPA 70
Ohio has mandatory statewide codes.

They have the codes, just not enforced or enacted at the local level.    Remember the codes are the minimum standard, not the best practice.     Roly