Something to build in December?
Both are out of the clamps.   added strips to the sides of the lid were reduced....until the lid would match the box...

One of the thin "cut-offs" was recycled onto the ends....

Checked to see how the tray will sit in the box..
Cool

Seems to sit rather nicely in there.    Checked to see how the lid will sit, with the tray inside...

Will work on that gap, next time in the shop....Trying to decide how these will get installed..
Confused  

Whether to surface mount these, or chop a small mortise for them.....leaning more towards the surface mounting....
Cool

ordered new versions of these..

From Hobby Lobby.   One latch, or, 2 latches?
Confused   Also ordered a handle...the kind that folds down flat....waiting on it and the latches to arrive via flat rate mail....cost more for the S&H than it did for the parts....

May head back to the shop..later, and see about installing some hinges...
Confused

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Hinges installed...
Cool

And checked to see how they will work...

Thinking I will save these bigger latches...

For another project, someday.    Even IF I use a single ones of these....it would overwhelm the look of the box...maybe?  Like the little ones better...and can even use 2 such latches.

Need to round over all the corners a bit....sand things smooth ( 320 grit?) and see about a stain.   See IF I can blend all the woods together....

Note: I now have a stack of 1/4" thick Aromatic Red Cedar planks.....thinking about a few small boxes.....we'll see

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
have since cleaned parts up....corners rounded over, gaps put under control....got out the Church Key..

Since I had rounded all the sharp corners, and sanded to 220 grit..
Cool

Tray was stained, and wiped down...and set aside....gap control?  
Confused

hand plane to level that spot out....then the insides were stained..

Wiped down...closed the lid, flip over, and stained the underside..

Then the ends, and the back and the front...

Finally, the top of the lid...

And then sit the tray inside, to see how it will look...

So, I am currently waiting on the mail to deliver a handle and a pair of latches.....in the meantime, I let this sit a day, wipe down again, and see about a coat of clear gloss poly..

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Looks good Steve! 

I did not notice; is there a use for this?
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Remember those small, plastic, tool tote/boxes?     used to hold small household repair items?    usually some weird colour....maybe someone can make use of this instead....

First coat of clear gloss poly has been applied....waiting on that for a bit...before I rub it out....not sure how shiny I want it to be.   hardware will be here, this weekend.

Will post when things get done...IF anyone wants to see it...
Confused
(12-10-2020, 04:02 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Remember those small, plastic, tool tote/boxes?     used to hold small household repair items?    usually some weird colour....maybe someone can make use of this instead....

First coat of clear gloss poly has been applied....waiting on that for a bit...before I rub it out....not sure how shiny I want it to be.   hardware will be here, this weekend.

Will post when things get done...IF anyone wants to see it...
Confused

I've made some boxes similar to yours for miscellaneous tools for household projects and to carry the tools needed for small auto repairs. I gave one to a friend who is a shade tree mechanic, I dated and signed it on the bottom(the box-not the friend). He really seemed to appreciate it.

I would like to see the completed box and I'm sure many here would also.

By the way, I used a non-folding handle because when the box is fully opened, the lid is flat/level and can be used to hold small parts, screws etc.

Dave
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
(12-10-2020, 04:02 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Remember those small, plastic, tool tote/boxes?     used to hold small household repair items?    usually some weird colour....maybe someone can make use of this instead....

Your tray was a cue to me that reality could not accept. Steve is not that fancy with his own tools; he uses them and they wear out their containers. So, half a chance, it might be a "kitchen" tool kit. 
Smirk

In our house we just try to break a kitchen drawer. The biggest irritation is those foot-long Bic lighters on top of, or below, the dinky hammer from Auntie So-and-so.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Hardware arrived this morning..at 0638hrs.....Handle went on as soon as I could scrounge 4 screws....

I guess I could dribble a bit of black paint on the screws...
Raised

I then clamped the lid shut and added the latches....at least they had their own screws...
Rolleyes  

And...that should do it....
Cool

Thanks for stopping by for a look!
Winkgrin
Good build thread Bandit, as usual.

You seem to do more in a week then I get done in a month!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me