Water and probably mold problem on slab floor
(12-04-2020, 12:41 PM)Roly Wrote: Is the temperature gauge working ?  Seems like after 24 hrs it would drop quite a bit which could account for pressure loss.   Roly

Actually, it works fine.  The boiler was off for a few days as it was warm enough to not call for heat.  It is set at 50F, just to keep the pipes from freezing.  The pilot flame will keep it around that temperature, though lower as it gets colder out.  Same with the water heater - in moderate weather with just the pilot flame, the water is actually almost hot.  

The water heater and boiler are in a closet with only an outside door with fresh air louver as the only access.  Weird arrangement, but that’s what it is.  You can see that door in at least one shot above, just past the sliding glass door toward the street but before the covered grill and fence.  

My FIL added the lower louver, thinking the room needed more air or something, even though it was working fine for almost 60 years, and the incoming water main froze from the sub-zero air coming in the bottom right onto the pipe and meter.  While he was nice and toasty in south Florida for the winter and I was doing my usual caretaker bit.  
Upset

I’d be over there now pulling up more floor but I have to wait for the furnace guy, since our heat quit last night.
Upset
Upset
Upset
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have a customer who had the same problem with a low slab that sunk over the years. They had a foundation company raise the house/slab 6".

I didn't ask what that cost.
(12-07-2020, 07:51 PM)daddo Wrote: I have a customer who had the same problem with a low slab that sunk over the years. They had a foundation company raise the house/slab 6".

I didn't ask what that cost.

That's interesting.  What did they do about water and sewer?  I suppose they would have excavated and cut them first, then reconnected.  

Not in the cards for this house, as they're going to sell it.  DW and her sister aren't happy about it (SisIL especially), but they're too old to make the drive any more as they're pushing 90, and they won't give their small pooch 'doggy downers' and fly with her in a crate.  Lotta weird stuff like that in the family I married into.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"