Surge protector
Does anyone with a 220v lathe that contains a drive use a surge protector? Thanks.
ANTHONY
(12-01-2020, 08:46 AM)WOODNUT358 Wrote: Does anyone with a 220v lathe that contains a drive use a surge protector?  Thanks.

I should, but I'm too cheap. I keep mine unplugged when not in use. Everything except the lights are unplugged in my shop.

Years ago the power line from the pole to the house got hit by lightning. I learned a lesson the hard way.
I also just unplug my lathe when not in use and don't use it during storms etc.
Like others, I simply unplug my lathe when not in use. I do this for all my power tools for safety sake.
I installed a whole house surge protector many years ago after a lightning strike and have done it for every house I’ve owned. 
It’s installed in the breaker panel. I’ve purchased them through Home Depot and electrical supply houses.
They weren’t cheap but not unworldly expensive, $100 - 200 bucks if I recall for the better the performing devices.
Thanks for the reply’s much appreciated
ANTHONY