garage shop heater
I have the same one as Mound.  I am in Tidewater Virginia, and it does a nice job heating up my garage very quickly, and it is not very loud.
(12-01-2020, 05:45 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I put a mini split in my shop in VA, (24x30 10' ceiling) and it kept the shop at 68 degrees year round, running about $15 a month.  The initial cost is higher, but if you are staying any length of time, you'll recoup the cost in savings.  The mini split covers heat and ac. 
Big Grin

When we moved, i insulated the new shop, and added the mini split.  Boom, 68 degrees, and set it and forget it.

Smile

Jim,
What brand of mini-splits did you use?

Lonnie
+1 on the electric radiant. 
I have 2 - 240V panels hung on the ceiling. Couldn’t tell you the btu's without dropping them and doing the math from the labels, but they keep my shop 60* with no noticeable increase to the electric bill. My garage is about 480 ft2.  
I have spray foam in the walls/roof deck, so that helps a bunch.  
But like others have said, don’t be afraid of the electric option. An added bonus is no flame to ignite fumes and dust.
Luke

I have an oil fired furnace in my 24x48 wood shop running a .60 nozzle (about 70,000 btu output). It's not insulated well and there are leaks, but I can raise the temp. throughout about 1 degree per min., so I just turn it on when I need it. The basement (and attic) have F.H.W. by oil. it's slower to come up to temp. but it doesn't get much colder than about 40* down there. The domestic hot water is useful at times, and I just poured a 16x20 slab outside the door for a carport with he-pex for snow melt that'll come off that boiler too.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(12-01-2020, 08:32 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Jim,
What brand of mini-splits did you use?

Lonnie

I had a Daiken in Va, but went with the Gree (Home Depot sells them here) in OK.  Pleased with both.
A couple things to watch out for... Parts... No matter which you buy, make sure PARTS are readily available, would s.u.c.k to need a $3 part to beat either the 100 degree heat or the 30 degree cold and find out turnaround time is 30 to 60 days.
My guy had enough parts in his warehouse to build a new system, from parts.

The second thing is warranty...
Look online and check carefully.  Most have five to seven years, some ten... BUT, it could state the unit must be installed by a licensed  / certified hvac contractor.  If not, NO warranty.

GREE clearly states this in the warranty, and it's not in small print. 
Cool
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I have a Dyna Glo 30 - 60K BTU forced air propane heater. Got it at Home Depot. My shop is roughly 17 x 24.
Dave

+1 on the mini-split.  Mine has been great.  I got it from an outfit in Florida.  Brand name is Pioneer.  My HVAC guy says they're all made in about three different plants, and it's identical to the LG that we've got in my server room at work.  I got mine from highseer.com.  12,000 BTU with heat pump.  it was less than $800 delivered, and I did most of the installation work, with my hvac guy coming around to connect up the lines and wiring and certify it was done correctly.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
(12-01-2020, 04:57 PM)mound Wrote: This 240V heater has served me very well in my garage shop in upstate NY

https://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheat-FUH54-...B0000AXEZV

Yes
Yes
Yes 
Same one here, also in Upstate.  Works great and there's no flame.
I found a window 20,000 BTU electric AC-Heat pump on a Saturday merchant  garage sale.  I added a 10,000 BTU electric from Northern Tool. In NW Ohio they do OK in a 24x24 insulated garage with 10' ceiling.  The window unit is an old fashion mini split, summer work is great now with the AC on.
I have a Bryant down draft furnace.  I keep my shop heated all winter - I am in it almost everyday so I don't want to wait for warm up.  I will have A/C next year.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.