Spalted Maple Bowl
A spalted maple bowl that I just finished.  It has a hole, so according to Anthony it's art!

[Image: 50682401007_d21ba894ac_z.jpg]

[Image: 50682400817_7b3352fa88_z.jpg]

I got lucky with the spalt.  I left a chunk of maple outside on the ground for some time hoping it would spalt.  I had to use a little Minwax Wood Hardener on on a couple of punky patches.
(12-05-2020, 07:26 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: A spalted maple bowl that I just finished.  It has a hole, so according to Anthony it's art!

I got lucky with the spalt.  I left a chunk of maple outside on the ground for some time hoping it would spalt.  I had to use a little Minwax Wood Hardener on on a couple of punky patches.

Looks nice.  I'd have barked the hole, though.  Personal preference.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Very nice bowl, I have some real nicely spalted maple that I’m itching to do something with but want to improve my turning before screwing up nice wood.
Mr mouse what do you mean when you say “barked” the hole. Is it simply removing the bark you’re talking about.
Bruce.
(12-05-2020, 02:50 PM)stillgotten Wrote: Very nice bowl, I have some real nicely spalted maple that I’m itching to do something with but want to improve my turning before screwing up nice wood.
Mr mouse what do you mean when you say “barked” the hole. Is it simply removing the bark you’re talking about.

I use bark and CA glue for my fills.  the bark soaks up very little glue when it's oriented edge up, so any finish adheres and looks good.  Unlike sawdust or coffee grounds, which soak and tend to look unnatural, it looks like bark belongs.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Very nice! The simple form really shows off the wood. I turn a lot of burls and I always leave the holes. I never found any reason to fill them and almost all non-woodworkers that see my turnings compliment that.
Very nice! The hole is natural and looks it, so I think it's ok to leave it. I might also fill it with a colored resin, just for a pop of color, but it's up to you.

If you fill in the hole, it will hold water; therefor it is no longer art. And the difference in art and craft is about $100 per bowl...
I never fill in the holes, voids and cracks; however, I have seen some beautiful work from those who do.
That is a beautiful piece of work!

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(12-08-2020, 07:18 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: If you fill in the hole, it will hold water; therefor it is no longer art.  And the difference in art and craft is about $100 per bowl...
I never fill in the holes, voids and cracks; however, I have seen some beautiful work from those who do.
That is a beautiful piece of work!

GM

Thanks!

Sometimes I fill, but this was a big hole and I thought it looked cool.  I will mark it up accordingly!
Frank, I like your spalted bowl.  I've had several logs with spalting, but nothing like yours.  How long did you leave it on the ground?

I noticed you used "Minwax Wood Hardener".  A few years ago I was given a log with four burls.  Last week I harvested them; all are punky.  I was told the log was willow.  I had planed on using CA, your method seems to be much more practicale; how do you use it?.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(12-11-2020, 10:22 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Frank, I like your spalted bowl.  I've had several logs with spalting, but nothing like yours.  How long did you leave it on the ground?

I noticed you used "Minwax Wood Hardener".  A few years ago I was given a log with four burls.  Last week I harvested them; all are punky.  I was told the log was willow.  I had planed on using CA, your method seems to be much more practicale; how do you use it?.

Honestly, I don't remember how long I left it on the ground.  I kinda forgot about it!  For the Minwax, I turned it close to the final shape, the coated the whole bowl inside and out with a generous amount of the Wood Hardener even though it was only punky in spots.  It really needs venting!  I let it dry overnight and then made light passes to the final shape.  I tried the same thing on another piece and it was too punky to save.