Skim coat
I am making a gate out of 2x dimensional lumber that has been planed to 1". The construction is a three layer lamination. I have the gate glued up but there are various imperfections from dents, to gouges from scraping glue off, places where the lamination wasn't totally lined up etc. What I wold like to do is skim coat this with some kind of filler and sand smooth. It is going to be painted so I don't need anything fancy to match color. If this was going to be indoor I would just use some drywall mud. It works easy and sands easy. This is going to be a gate to the pasture so outdoors. I tried some Durham's Rockhard but that doesn't skim coat well. Works fine for small areas but dries too quickly to spread thin. Any suggestions?
No idea, but I wonder if paintable caulk would work?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Bondo.  Works great.  

John
I picked up some bondo. It is supposed to be in the 40's this weekend so I will try to move it to the garage to apply the bondo. Hopefully it will keep from stinking up the basement and may slow down the cure time so I don't have to work as fast.
I use Parks filler for small imperfections. 

For cut ends of plywood and MDF I apply it like shoe polish.  It drys very quickly and sands very easily. 

I get it at Home Depot.

[Image: red-oak-rust-oleum-parks-patching-repair...64_300.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I agree, Bondo is great stuff. We keep several gallons on hand all the time. It repairs all kinds of oopses!
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled