Crazy new festool offering
Maybe some of their tools have superior performance, but really, these are wrenches and screwdrivers, how much better can these be?   Is it worth 4x the cost of a good common brand (most of which have lifetime warranties, so "wearing out" is not a problem)
(12-08-2020, 09:00 AM)Cooler Wrote: If we assume that it is Snap-On quality then:

Snap on charges

$53.00 for a 9 piece Allan wrench set.

$182.50 for an 8 piece screw driver kit

$30.00 to $120.00 for an adjustable wrench

$33.00 each for ratcheting box wrenches

Container:  $76.00

So about $900.00 from Snap-On.

I don't know if it is Snap-On quality but I am fairly sure it is not Harbor Freight quality.  So I think it is expensive, but probably no more so than their saws, routers, or vacuums.

I don't know but maybe, most of my Snap On is 40 years old some older by a couple of years.  Does Festool replace any of those tools in the systainer if they break?  I must say Snap On and Mac tools reduced the need for band aids and a lot of trouble with rounded heads on things
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I'll probably get hammered for this BUT I don't own any of their equipment and don't plan to for this very reason. Seems like a racket to me. There are tools that do the same things as most of their line, and just as well IMO, for a whooooooole lot less.

Off my soapbox.

Doug
I own or have owned many (most?) of their tools over the years.  Early on my green fever I wanted to get every tool.  Many were out of my budget though so I scoured Craigslist. This was when value of the brand was not as well known and you could still get really good deals. Felt like I was a kid trying to catch all the Pokémons. Lol.  Overall I’ve been happy with my purchases.  Some were or are the only option. Some were the best product from what I could tell.  But there are a few tools, in retrospect,that I would not have gotten and some I ended up selling. Especially the drills and bits.
(12-08-2020, 11:40 PM)Tapper Wrote: I'll probably get hammered for this BUT I don't own any of their equipment and don't plan to for this very reason. Seems like a racket to me. There are tools that do the same things as most of their line, and just as well IMO, for a whooooooole lot less.

Off my soapbox.

Doug
I resisted until sheets of plywood seemed to get heavy.  Now I am able to roll the sheets out of my van onto a couple of saw horses and cut them to the finished sizes using the Festool saw.  With the measuring arms, it is as accurate as a good table saw and the chip edge on the guide leaves super clean edges.

It is also easy to make scoring cuts with a Festool saw so if you need super-clean cuts on both sides of the blades it is a simple matter.

In any event, I find that it is easier to use than a table saw for full sheets of plywood and saves time compared to rough sizing and then making finish cuts on the table saw. 

But, yes.  Very expensive.  But there are less expensive competitors out there now.  But none with the same dust collection.  Hooked up to the vacuum it collects almost all the saw dust.   Though when I am sizing things on my driveway I don't even bother with the dust collection.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Quote:I can understand why a  systainer is a good storage and transport idea for tools like the dominoes, tracksaws, sanders etc. But a systainer for screwdrivers? That's strictly designed with a marketing reason rather than a functional need for the festool fanboys/girls.
Kinda, sorta, maybe not ? 
I think part of the thought is to get one of the new generation of Systainer³ storage boxes in guy's hands to build awareness and demand. 

Quote:If we assume that it is Snap-On quality then:

arguably better.   
Sarcasm   I believe WERA is making these for Festool to market; and a comparable hex set is @ $50, the screwdrivers $60 -$95, and the wrenches approx. $80.  

Quote:Does Festool replace any of those tools in the systainer if they break?

Great question !
Yes     Sadly, I doubt they will after 30 days.   And, even if they would, chances are they won't have the item to exchange .  They are notorious for not keeping spares or selling onesy   / twosie  spares from tool kits in the past.   Like if you break a drill bit for instance.
Upset
(12-07-2020, 10:56 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I can understand why a  systainer is a good storage and transport idea for tools like the dominoes, tracksaws, sanders etc. But a systainer for screwdrivers? That's strictly designed with a marketing reason rather than a functional need for the festool fanboys/girls.

Simon

Part of it is brand appeal for sure but part of it is buying into the system.  All your tools fit into a modular system that can be stacked on top of each other or dolly or vacuum.   It's really no different than Milwaukee and their packout system, Bosch with their LBoxx, Dewalt, Makita, etc.  I'm not a contractor and my tools rarely leave my shop so the whole systainer thing was never a big selling point for me but if I was I might feel different.  I know a couple of contractors who love their packouts.
I had never heard of Wera Tools, but they look very cool (and are very expensive).  Note:  This is not an "unconditional" warranty, but it looks to be pretty strong nonetheless.

This from K-C Tool:  https://www.kctoolco.com/lifetime-warranties/

Wera Limited Lifetime Warranty
All Wera professional hand tools are covered by a lifetime warranty against breakage due to defects in materials or workmanship for the normal life of the product. This policy does not cover products which have been altered in any way, and products which have been subject to abuse, misuse, negligence, or improper storage. Bits, bitholders and L-keys are also not covered under this warranty policy as they are considered consumable. Wera Tools reserves the right to inspect warranty claims before replacements are issued. Return transportation costs are not included, however Wera will send replacement tools at no cost. Any claims for reasons other than those noted here must be approved by Wera Tools Inc., or its authorized representatives.

Wera torque products are warrantied up to 5,000 torque cycles within one year of purchase.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
For someone who hasn't tasted the Festool kool-aide....

What is a Systainer? Why is it $100? It looks like a plastic box.
Well if they're made in Germany the tools may be worth all of that.

I don't have a lot of German hand tools, but what I have is top notch.

I sometimes feels like I'm earning 1980s dollars and having to spend 2020 dollars, but inflation is funny that way.

The first candy bar I ever purchased was like a nickel or something. Even though dollars are easier to come by these days, I find it hard to pay a buck for a Snickers.