Neighbor gave me this jointer plane...worth fixing?
(12-11-2020, 02:30 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Pre WW2 #7 with no cracks in the casting.. always worth restoring. Nice find. Lots of 6s out there, not nearly as many 7s in the wild.

Keep it away from a wire wheel. It will kill the value.

I made a cleaner with 4" PVC pipe and a cap on it. Drill a hole in the top so you can hang it. Fill with Evaporust and put the body in and take it back out tomorrow. Evaporust will bleach the steel and take out any oils in it so it will start rusting again quickly. I give them a good rub down with carnauba wax. Some purists are anti Evaporust. I'm not a purist.

+1

I'm with Neil on this one. Too much rust on those plane parts to just give it a "touch up", sharpen the iron and make it a user IMO. Just depends on what you want your tools to look like when they're in your hands I suppose. If there are no serious defects or cracks in the casting that plane can be made to be quite handsome and a very nice user.

Evaporust will definitely be your friend.

Doug