Wood identity
Fast growing tree whatever it was.  Looks a lot like sycamore or maybe silver maple.  Doesn't look like any oak I've ever seen.  

John
Definitely something fast-growing.

It looks like the natural wood color is that little strip of brown visible in the surface pics.

That very light color that is primary in those pics looks like it is the part that has been bleached by the spalting (as seen in the end-grain pics).

Also, based on those end-grain pics, the surface pics should be very close to a quarter-sawn surface.

If it is sycamore, then a pic of the unspalted surface should look like lacewood.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-10-2020, 03:11 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Fast growing tree whatever it was.  Looks a lot like sycamore or maybe silver maple.  Doesn't look like any oak I've ever seen.  

John

A quick reference for some in this thread What Wood Is That? (woodmagazine.com) ring vs. diffuse porous.  Study the Pores section.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
For what it's worth, I talked with my friend and he said that they used to have Hickory nuts in the yard.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Any pics of the bark or leaves? That would definitely rule out some of the suggestions.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Not from that tree...

Leaning toward the hackberry id.

Ed
(12-10-2020, 04:19 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: A quick reference for some in this thread What Wood Is That? (woodmagazine.com) ring vs. diffuse porous.  Study the Pores section.

Thanks for the links.  Much appreciated.  

John