Hello from the Weaned Pup - RyanC
Hey there guys,

Not sure who remembers me but I'm in the middle of a little hand tool project and got to thinking about this place.

College (and yes, girls, Peter!) took me away from here.  I got pretty heavy into antique firearms late in college and I'm an FFL now in addition to my day job as a production manager.  Formerly a die designer after getting my degree in drafting.

I'm pretty active on the milsurps forum.  Say hi if you know me from there!
I'm mostly buying and selling firearms but my hand tool knowledge hasn't left and I dabble in that still too.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and see how folks are.  Might pop down to the classifieds and see if I need anything.

-Ryan
-Ryan C.
Ryan! Welcome back. I remember you. Help me out. What's an FFL? A lot of members have left the forum or just don't post anymore, but there are a few of us die-hards.

Some I don't see posting as often (or not at all anymore) that you might remember:

Bob Smalser
Joel Moskowitz
Schtoo
Wilbur Pan
Ron Brese (infrequently)
Rob Lee (less frequently than he used to)
Bob Zajicek (Czech Edge Tools)
Bob Lang (infrequently)
Chris Schwarz (never)
Slav (the Chicago NOS files and rasps dealer)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Hey Ryan,

I still have the cocobolo mallet that you made. It got beat up over the years and has been retired to the top shelf in the shop, but it always reminds me of your old posts. Welcome back.

If I remember correctly, many moons ago, you got to visit with Ron B to make an infill. I may be wrong, but I do seem to recall that. If so, what ever happened to that plane?
Welcome back.  FFL  is a federal firearms license, which is needed for most sales of firearms.  When you say antique, are you talking flintlocks?  I bought one years ago that was missing part of the stock, and replacing that and fitting it to the barrel was mostly hand tool work.
Scoony,

A bit vain perhaps but I did search the forum to see if I’d come up in my absence. I ran across a picture you posted of the mallet. I absolutely love to see something I made end up in well used condition. It’s very satisfying!

And you’re correct, I did get to spend some time working side by side with Ron. Talk about a valuable experience I didn’t even know I needed! That plane changed hands during a time when things were tight in college. It went to a forum friend here. A happy home, no doubt. I’ll let him out himself if he’s still around.
-Ryan C.
Barry,

That’s right, I’m licensed. My area of focus in firearms fall from about 1890 to 1950, give or take. Specifically US military arms. I buy mostly from online auctions and have had pretty decent success over the last couple years. The neatest I’ve bought/sold would probably be a Finnish Lahti anti-tank rifle.

I figured there’d be a couple other gun guys around here. I find the interests overlap a fair bit!
-Ryan C.
Welcome back!

Please tuen on private messages and send me one ( so I can send you one)
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
PMs enabled! Thanks for the heads up.
-Ryan C.
Hi Ryan. Weren't you into turning chisel handles pretty heavy?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Guilty on the chisel handles!
Once I moved out, I didn’t have anywhere I could use the lathe. Years afterwards, my parents had a yard sale that most of my tools went through.
Ended up selling the lathe to the shop teacher from the high school I went to. Last I heard, he was teaching some wood turning with it!
-Ryan C.