Finish repairs
Hi All:

Its been a while since I posted here, but I have a repair question. I built the end tables for my dad back in 2009. Dad passed in 2014. My step mom used them in her bedroom until her recent passing.

My wife wants to use them in the living room. However the tops appear to have been "cleaned" with pledge or something similar. There is a slight blush/haze where the cleaner was applied.

Finish is several coats of NC lacquer..

What can i use to try and restore the finish? If I have to, I can wet sand with 1500 grit and pad on some qualsole, but didn't want to go that far if not necessary.

Thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page
"I used to know a lot of things before I lost my mind."  Sylvia Stoner 1993

I would wipe it down with dewaxer solvent if you have it or can get it. Light sand, and apply sealcoat shellac, lightly sand and hit it with 2 coats of nitro lacquer.
(12-12-2020, 02:47 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: I would wipe it down with dewaxer solvent if you have it or can get it.  Light sand, and apply sealcoat shellac, lightly sand and hit it with 2 coats of nitro lacquer.

Thats what I realized.  The top has some blemishes that need to be corrected.
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page

I'm not sure but I don't think Pledge would cause a bluish haze.  That sounds more like from exposure to alcohol or Fantastic, Windex, etc.  Spraying it with pure lacquer thinner might correct the problem.  A couple more options are Homax White Ring Remover and Howard's Restor a finish.  One way or the other I think you need to get rid of the bluish look before applying more or different finish.  

Good luck.  

John
Thanks everyone. Since the original finish was Sherwin Williams 60% sheen NC lacquer, it was easy to repair. I wet sanded out the flaws and haze with 600 grit w/d paper wet with mineral spirits. Let dry completely and shot it twice with my touch up gun loaded with nc 60% sheen lacquer.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page

Wow, they look new.  Nice recovery.  

John
Nice job, they took on that new look.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Thanks. They took the fresh top coats really well. The finish is are currently curing.
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page